Use Actiontec Modem/router as secondary router/extender??
Emirabal

So, Im planning on getting the Actiontec 802.11ac rouer compatible with MoCA 2.0

(link here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV1Y3W2/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_6 ) to use as an extender or secondary router using a coax output thats near my computer.  Will this router work and How should I set u pthe router to work over Coax?

0 Likes
Re: Use Actiontec Modem/router as secondary router/extender??
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't used that product myself, but looking at the User Manual at Actiontec, it seems like you initially place the extender near your current router. You then plug it in and the WCB6200Q will essentially snoop around for the strongest wireless signal (which would be your current Verizon router) and set itself up based on what it finds. A button turns green when it is successful or red if it fails. (It doesn't sound like you actually press the button. That's used for subsequent WPS setups of devices like phones, computers, etc.)

Then you unplug the WCB6200Q, move it to the room where you want the new coverage and then connect the coax up to the coax on the back of the WCB6200Q. At this point, the LAN ports on the WCB6200Q can be used to connect computers, X-Box, 8-port switch, etc. via wired Ethernet. The wireless network should be already set up to go.

The wireless network can also be set up manually if something doesn't work (for example, if you have set the current router to not transmit the SSID of your wireless network). For manual configuration to work though, you have to connect the WCB6200Q to the coax. It isn't stated, but I believe you could also connect one of the LAN ports on your current router (or a switch conected to your router) to one of the to LAN ports on the WCB6200Q using an Ethernet cable. Basically, a physical connection is needed since the wireless network is not set up. Page 10 of that document I linked above talks about how to get into the GUI and page 14 talks about wireless setup.

And please, change that default username and password from admin/admin to something else. Please.

0 Likes