Use G1100 and G3100 together
smellyjeli

I have Fios TV and internet.  My ONT is located outside the house and cat5e comes into the basement to a central hub/panel.  Currently I have the G3100 connected in the basement hub/panel with one cat5e connected into the WAN port and three cat5e connected in the LAN ports to provide wired connections throughout the house.  I would like to move the G3100 from the basement, up to the main level, to provide better WiFi to the main and upstairs levels. I was thinking about connecting my G1100 router in the basement hub/panel, configured in bridge mode, with DHCP turned off, and all cat5e cables connected to the LAN ports.  Place my G3100 on the main floor and connect an Ethernet cable from an active cat5e wall outlet to the WAN port of the G3100.  Will this solution work? Is there a better solution?

Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: Use G1100 and G3100 together
TimTeezey

I see know answered were received.  however, I just got the g3100 and also still have the g1100.  I'm looking to do something similar.  how did it work out for you?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Both G3100 and G1100 can be your primary router. The choice depends on the location of both routers and where you would like to have wire/wireless connections. The choice is also contingent to the availability of ethernet/coax drops near each router.

To resolve your situation, I need more details, such as the ethernet/coax wiring status at your house and where would you like to place your routers.

0 Likes
diktrom

Your mileage may vary but when I attempted this I got great wifi signals but my internet would drop every few hours. WiFi signal was stable and I could connect to my NAS however I had to reboot the G3100 to get the WWW.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes