Use a SECOND Actiontec as WiFi Extender
ItsJoeKelly

I happen to have a second Actiontec MI424WR router that was left behind by a tech "just in case"

I would really like to use it as an extender on my second floor. 

I was using a Microsoft MN700 in "base station" mode and that was great, but recently it has started acting flaky and i can access the management console anymore even after a hard reset. it's old anyway so...

I do have a mix of hardwired and Wireless PCs that i want to support in my second flr office.

I have the ethernet cable running from the basement to the second floor so the hardwire cabling is just sitting there.

It is plugged into one of the 4 ports on router #1.

How do i set up #2. I am somewhat network literate. Tried turning off DHCP on #2, tried setting up sep subnet, DHCP Relay looks interesting but the docs dont explain much on how to set that up... nothing seems to work.

I'd like to avoid spending $100 on aLinksys if I have a perfectly gd unit sitting here doing nothing.

Searches in here didnt reveal what i need, sorry if its been covered 50 times already!

thanks in advance,

jk

0 Likes
Re: Use a SECOND Actiontec as WiFi Extender
jeffm
Enthusiast - Level 3

you'll probably find your answer over here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

Jeff

0 Likes
Re: Use a SECOND Actiontec as WiFi Extender
prisaz
Legend

If you disable DHCP on router #2 and just plug LAN on #2 to LAN on #1, the DHCP on router #1 would issue addresses to devices on router #2. Router #2 would just be connected to router #1 LAN to LAN, and act as a bridge to the wireless devices. Router #2 would not act as a router, but only a bridge and a switch. Do not use the WAN on #2 router. This should work. Your second access point #2 would need a different SSID and KEY. I would also lock both on different wireless channels.

Message Edited by prisaz on 05-08-2009 06:35 PM