quick menu

Use my own router setup with Verizon Fios

Use my own router setup with Verizon Fios

Highlighted
Contributor ericx
Contributor
Message 1 of 3
(1,843 Views)

Hi there, wanted to know if I can use my router setup with Verizon Fios. Bascially, how I have it now is the modem connects to a router in the living room (both provided by my current ISP that I will have to return if I switch). That router in the living room is then connected to another router upstairs for more signal. I also have a router in the basement connected to that router in the living room. That way, I essentially have all three floors blanketed with wireless signal. My question is: Can I keep this setup? I know that Verizon has their own router, but can I use the provided router to connect it to the upstairs and basement router? Also, I have a security DVR and Ooma Telo that also needs to conenct to that Verizon router. Is this possible? Thanks

Also-- I'm interested in purchasing the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. 1 used from eBay with 50/50 internet service, and want it to work with my setup above. Any limitations? Suggestions? Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Platinum Contributor II Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Message 2 of 3
(1,784 Views)

If you are not using verizon stb for TV service, you can use any router easily.

it gets more complicated with their stb.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Contributor Bertie07
Contributor
Message 3 of 3
(1,719 Views)

I can vouch that you can use other routers in order to extend your connection.  My house has multiple drops throughout however the broadband is currently going through my own router (not Verizon's) while I wait for a replacement.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Add or Change Plan
  • Suspend My Service
  • Apps

Support

Watch Fios