Using 2 Actiontec routers
elana3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have 2 actiontec MI424-WR routers.  The previous tenant in my apartment left his here, and when I signed up for FIOS they shipped me a router with the cable box and such.

My place is small but for some reason the wireless connectivity in my bedroom is pretty bad.  Maybe it's the concrete walls, maybe there's a channel conflict, I dunno.

Either way I figure I have the second router, maybe I can just hook it up to the first (wired) and use it as an access point in my bedroom.  Is this feasbile?  I'm guessing I'd have to disable DHCP somehow. 

0 Likes
Re: Using 2 Actiontec routers
Hubrisnxs
Legend

You are going in the right direction, but if you have a working FiOS TV outlet in that area where you want it, then you should try this method. 

[PDF] 

Configure MI424WR as a LAN MoCA Bridge - A

Basically you take it to that room, get a two way tv splitter (5-1000mhz) and then hook the wall coax cable into this splitter.  The splitter will have two outs.  one cable will get connected between the new router, and a 2nd cable will get connected to your set top box. 

Use the configuration settings as described.

Then you can plug straight into the router for the best connectivity (always recommended) or use the wireless from that router in that room.