Using 2 routers on the same coaxial cable
ChrisBucca
Enthusiast - Level 1

HELP! I have a healthy Fios installation-one set top box, one high speed router supplied by Fios, and a wireless network that for a while has been serving my needs. 

WHAT I WANT TO DO-I want to set up a secondary wireless network in a different area of the property that has a coaxial cable already run. I also have another router that I bought at a yard sale for 5 bucks YES, 5 BUCKS, that is identical to the Verizon supplied router, NIB with the stickers still covering the ports on the back! I want to use the common coax cable that connects the set top box, original router and fios service with this new router, but there is a conflict when I connect the new router. everything goes to hell, I have to power down everything, disconnect the new router, and power back up to restore harmony.

THE QUESTION-what exactly do I need to change in the new router so it will not screw up the existing network, but allow me to create a new wireless network separate from the existing one, but sharing Internet and connectivity with the old one?

0 Likes
Re: Using 2 routers on the same coaxial cable
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What type of router is it?

You can't have two routers on you network as only 1 can get a public IP.

If you can configure second router as an access point, that would work.

Otherwise, what you want is a MOCA wireless extender.

ChrisBucca
Enthusiast - Level 1

The router that I want to add is the exact same G1100 gigabit router that Verizon provides. I know only one router will be able to do whatever kind of work it has to to maintain the installation: the set top box, the program guide, all that stuff. I just want to be able to have additional wireless coverage and a wired network in a different part of the house, yet still be able to access things from one side to the other. When I tried hooking them both up together, the additional router "took over" the network and left the original routernon functional. No internet and no access to that wireless network. I disconnected the new router and power cycled everything, ont, router, set top box, and everything came back. I need to know what settings need to be changed in the new router so that it lets the original router be the boss, so to speak. This has got to be something as simple as a few settings. Just so I understand whats going on here, what is causing the conflict? 2 routers trying to be the DHCP server, or trying to use the same adressess? I'm sorry if this is some newbie stuff, but I'll admit I'm a little out of my element here.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't seen a cookbook yet that gives step by step instructions on how to convert a G1100 to a network extender.

I would try googling that phrase.

Lacking instructions, the only plug an play method is to purchase a Verizon network extender.