Using 2 wireless Routers
GoldSt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Task:

I want to connect 2 similair wireless routers (Actiontech) to our Fios Network.

Problem:

When I connect the coaxial cable to the second router, wireless access inthe home fails entirely. Im thinking the second router has the same IP as the first or something.

Question:

Is there a way to correct this problem (ie changing the IP address or some other method) to make these two wireless routers work? 

Re: Using 2 wireless Routers
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you need to do is disable DHCP on the second router, in addition to ensuring it is not set up to establish a WAN connection to the FiOS service (which the first router is already set up to do). In addition, yes, you do need to change the second ActionTec's IP to something else, such as 192.168.2.1 . Since the second ActionTec is being used as an AP/Switch, I would suggest ensuring UPnP is disabled along with the Firewall in the ActionTec.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

The process for using an additional MI424-WR to extend your network is a little more involved that what smith6612 said.

Follow the instructions in part 2 of the following FAQ: 

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax? 

GoldSt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried what was suggested in the tutorial. However, I could not get a wireless connection to the internet from the second router (coax cable attached). The Internet led glows orange instead of green. 

GoldSt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

So the goal is to connect one laptop the the 1st router and others to the 2nd router.

Exactly, how do I ensure the second router is not set up to establish a WAN connection to the FIOS service?

Also, when you write,  "I would suggest ensuring UPnP is disabled along with the Firewall in the ActionTec." Which router are yu suggesting this be done to?

Thanks.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was suggesting that to the second router you're planning to set up as an Access Point/Ethernet switch, so the main router can be left alone. For now I would double check to ensure the steps were followed correctly in setting up the other router. It should be from what I imagine, plug and play once you have the right settings.

0 Likes
RMN3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just follow AntiPhish's link step by step and you will get it working. 

Right from those instructions:

2.3) If your primary router's broadband connection is provisioned over coax, you need to disable the remote router's coax WAN connection to prevent it from attempting to become the primary router. 

If your broadband connection from the ONT to your primary router is ethernet, this step is unnecessary.

• Login to the router at it's new IP address.
    • Click on the MY NETWORK icon at the top.
    • Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.
    • Click on Broadband Connection (coax)
    • Click on DISABLE
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@GoldSt wrote:

I tried what was suggested in the tutorial. However, I could not get a wireless connection to the internet from the second router (coax cable attached). The Internet led glows orange instead of green. 

The internet light is supposed to be orange.  The coax WAN section of the second router is disabled.  Both routers can NOT connect to the ONT at the same time.

Check your wireless setting on the second router.  Your wireless devices must connect to the correct SSID and their encryption key must match for a coinnection to occur.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Anti-Phish wrote:

Both routers can NOT connect to the ONT at the same time.

All it takes is, one example to prove that wrong.

#1 I point to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

#2 Read option "Three router"

#3 For more details on "Three router" - I point to 

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16710

--

Some note(s):

#1 Since I don't have FIOS, I don't know if that works.

#2 The Poster cleary said two routers, not three.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

It might only take one counter example, if the counter example were correct.

By "connect to", I was referring to a WAN internet connection  i.e. the process of obtaining a connection via a DHCP lease.  In the counter example you point to, there is only one WAN internet connection to the ONT (the primary router via cat5).  Yes, the Actiontec is connected to the coax, which is in turn connected to the ONT.  However in that configuration, the WAN section of the Actiontec is disabled.  Therefore, there is no second WAN connection to the ONT.

0 Likes