Using Coax for PCs via Westell (FiOS)
jimmcc1

Normal FiOS setup, coax from ONT to Westell 9xxx for WAN.  Wifi and Cat5 for PCs.  Got a room where I can't easily get a Cat5 cable and wifi is too far away, but it has a unused Coax connection in the room connected to the splitter.  Anyone or Anyway to put a PC on Coax to Cat 5 adapter and it pick up DHCP and other services because it is connected to the Coax Spliter.  If the STBs and router are getting services connected to that splitter seems like a PC would also.  

Thoughts?

Jim

0 Likes
Re: Using Coax for PCs via Westell (FiOS)
Justin46
Legend

Sure you can. I have been using an old Motorola NIM-100 for several years to get wired internet service to the other end of our house. Verizon originally provided the NIM with FiOS TV installations to get the internet path onto the coax, way back before they had routers that would do that.

If you are not familiar with the NIM-100, here is a link to one currently on sale on eBay (I am not advocating you buy one this way, just pointing you to a place where you can see what it is):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Motorola+NIM100

I believe that Actiontec now has a product that will do the same thing. If you search here on the forums I think you will find some threads that discuss this.

Another option would be a pair of powerline adapters to convert one of the ethernet ports on the router to put the signal on your electrical wiring in the house, and another to convert it back to an ethernet cable connection. I have never tried this, no need for it, but I have seen posts from people who are using this and it works, and I have seen them advertised for about $50.

Good luck.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: Using Coax for PCs via Westell (FiOS)
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Thats a great price for that nim. Here is a good faq for your question as well. You can also pick up a second verizon router, and configure it using the instructions at the link. I dont like power line ethernet personally, that nim is a great price, and little to no configuration and you could probably find a verizon router for about the same price. So you have a couple readily good options.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.2_MOCA#15984
0 Likes