Using Linksys Access Point with Verizon Fios Router
bjd21

I had a question regarding properly using a Linksys WAP54G access point with my fios router to extend the wireless range.  I have the access point set up on another floor of the house using a powerline adapter connection, which works well.  I can see the "linksys" SSID show up and when I connect I successfully get internet.  Now, how do I make the SSID the same as my current fios SSID so devices connected through wifi won't have to change to the linksys network.  I would like the access point to simply extend the range of the wifi, not creating a different network.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Using Linksys Access Point with Verizon Fios Router
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You have to access the WAP54G's configuartion settings and change the SSID there.

Let me say, however, that there is a difference of opinion whether it's best to have the same SSID or different names.  I prefer different SSIDs.  (And different wifi channels, btw, so they don't interfer with each other.)

My reasoning is that with different names, I can easily tell which WAP a device is connected to.   So if I walk from one end of the house to the other end, and I see I only have two bars of wifi on my iPhone, I can see that I'm still connected to the wrong WAP and manually select the closer one.

With the same SSID, devices won't always jump to the strongest signal.

In any case, you should be able to get into the WAP54G's setup and name its SSID whatever you like.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

To add on to aother comment, what you want is for Linksys to act as an access point instead of a rotuer.

For my Dlink, do the following:

Connect ethernet up to a lan port of the Linksys not the wan port.
Disable DHCP on the linksys.

At that point you can set the SSID to be whatever you want(I agree that setting it differnt helps devices be more stable).
And set the channels on each router (Verizon and Linksys) to be different from each other.
This configuration will put all devices (STBs and wireless devices) on the same subnet.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CRobGauth wrote:

To add on to aother comment, what you want is for Linksys to act as an access point instead of a rotuer.

For my Dlink, do the following:

Connect ethernet up to a lan port of the Linksys not the wan port.
Disable DHCP on the linksys.

At that point you can set the SSID to be whatever you want(I agree that setting it differnt helps devices be more stable).
And set the channels on each router (Verizon and Linksys) to be different from each other.
This configuration will put all devices (STBs and wireless devices) on the same subnet.

it's a WAP54G

That's a Wireless Access Point.  It has no WAN port just one ethernet port to make a wired connection to the main network.

0 Likes