Using MoCa on new FiOS gigabit setup
mikeanan1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently had a FiOS upgrade to the gigabit service which included new everything: New ONT, Quantum Gateway router, latest set top boxes, etc. The Verizon tech connected the new ONT to the Quantum router via ethernet CAT6. I want to get the best network speed on a computer in remote office 3 floors away. Wifi not so great.  I have a cable coax connection in that office. Want to buy either the FiOS Network Adapter, FiOS Network Extender, or other 3rd-party MoCa adapter to achieve this. Instructions for the FiOS devices state that the router MUST be connected to the coax system. Mine is not. How do I make this work? Do I just add the coax between the ONT coax port and the Quantum Gateway's available coax connection (like the previous FiOS setup before my upgrade) and also keep the ethernet connection between the two? Or do I connect the router to an available coax wall port nearby? Trying to avoid having to buy a pair of MoCa adapters. Thanks for any help you can provide.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using MoCa on new FiOS gigabit setup
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon offers the FNA and FNE. The FNA has a coax port and four ethernet ports. The FNE has coax and two ethernet ports, but it also has wifi and will aut clone your Quantum router's wfi credentials.

You definitely won't need a pair of adapters since the Quantum router supports MoCA. You'll just need to plug one into the coax on the 3rd floor and you should be good. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You say that you have the latest set-top boxes? If you have TV then there has to be coax connected to your router. Otherwise the guide/on demand wouldn't work. 

If for some reason that you don't have coax at router then just run it to your main splitter. So for example you should have coax coming from the ONT to the input of a main splitter. Then the one output will connect to the coax that goes to the 3 floor office. And the other will connect to the line connected to the router. 

Then as far as the office. If you don't need wifi up there just get the FNA. They are only $55. 

jw_in_ma
Enthusiast - Level 2

You mention that "if you don't need WiFi" you can use a FIOS Network adapter. How come you can't plug a router into it and get WiFi?  Wondering if I should have gotten an FNA instead of a pair of MoCA Ethernet adapters.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon offers the FNA and FNE. The FNA has a coax port and four ethernet ports. The FNE has coax and two ethernet ports, but it also has wifi and will aut clone your Quantum router's wfi credentials.

You definitely won't need a pair of adapters since the Quantum router supports MoCA. You'll just need to plug one into the coax on the 3rd floor and you should be good. 

mikeanan1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Apologies to all who read my question. Turns out, I DO have both coax and CAT6 running between the ONT and Quantum Gateway router nearby. Don't know how I missed that.  I must not have checked back when the tech completed the job. So, in my case, I should be ready to add a single MoCA adapter in my remote office on the coax and get a solid, 400megabits or so. Thanks, all.

0 Likes
stock323

what's an FNA.. at 55 USD

I have same scenario, newest Fuos gigabit. ONT, modem, router connections ... optical CABLE TO ONT, coax and Ethernet to white colored Router.

Question, still would I split the coax to Router ( i.e. one connection to an Antec WCB3000N..  " ethernet over coax " . 

help me understand connection needed

thanks 

0 Likes
Pwattas
Enthusiast - Level 1

Do you need the coax coming from the ONT box at all to use Moca? Can’t you have coax from the router connected to the rest of the coax going through the house? If you have Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router then the coax cable should be useless from the ONT right?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Pwattas wrote:

Do you need the coax coming from the ONT box at all to use Moca? Can’t you have coax from the router connected to the rest of the coax going through the house? If you have Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router then the coax cable should be useless from the ONT right?

Correct, as long as you do not have TV service.