Using Netgear C3700 router with Verizon internet
UnimpressedWalr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, my current Verizon provided router is connected via Coaxial cable. It is the pretty old red and black model. I am trying to replace it with a Netgear C3700 router and when I contacted Verizon tech support twice and they said it would be compatible both times but we have yet to get it working. The old router works fine when the Coaxial cable is screwed back into it but the new router is not detecting it for some reason. The Netgear warranty is up so I am not able to get support from them. Does anyone have any tips or ideas? Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using Netgear C3700 router with Verizon internet
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah, as others mentioned, what you have is a DOCSIS modem, which won't work with FiOS. If you don't have FiOS TV, but know where your ONT is located, consider asking Verizon to switch your Internet connection from Coax to Ethernet, and then connect your own router to the ONT using a CAT5e or better cable.

If you still want to use Coax for your WAN connection supply, take note that the maximum speed is 100Mbps off of that, while Verizon's minimum speed tier today is 200Mbps. You can probably score a used G1100 router as suggested above to upgrade your old ActionTec router if your aim is better Wi-Fi. But long term, I would still get switched over to Ethernet, so you can use your own router and get higher speeds in the future.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is a DOCSIS modem and 100% not compatible with fios. That is only compatible with Cable ISPs. 

The only routers that will work with verizon on coax are the G1100 and G3100 routers. Or older Actiontec routers but they are pretty old so you probably don't want to use those routers. 

If you want to use your own router you can either buy a G1100 online or buy a router NOT modem and wire it with ethernet from the ONT. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you have is a modem-router combo.

The ONT is taking the role of a modem if you were on Cable.

Verizon helps customers to dedicate specific network devices for specific purposes for the ease of troubleshooting and replacing, and more importantly, to avoid having a "jack of all trades" device: a modem, router, switch, access point combo.

You can buy a used G1100 off Ebay for less than $50. Make sure the firmware is Verizon Fios, so the router can receive firmware updates.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah, as others mentioned, what you have is a DOCSIS modem, which won't work with FiOS. If you don't have FiOS TV, but know where your ONT is located, consider asking Verizon to switch your Internet connection from Coax to Ethernet, and then connect your own router to the ONT using a CAT5e or better cable.

If you still want to use Coax for your WAN connection supply, take note that the maximum speed is 100Mbps off of that, while Verizon's minimum speed tier today is 200Mbps. You can probably score a used G1100 router as suggested above to upgrade your old ActionTec router if your aim is better Wi-Fi. But long term, I would still get switched over to Ethernet, so you can use your own router and get higher speeds in the future.