Using Netgear router as a Bridge
renoirport

How can I use my netgear WNDR3700 router as a bridge on FIOS? I need to establish a N network to support my two TIVOs. I have FIOS TV, Internet and phone. All HD TV is via cable cards & TIVO. Two other TV are attached to a Verizon basic cable box.

0 Likes
Re: Using Netgear router as a Bridge
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2
renoirport

All the links provided  point to changing the Verizon provided router. I don't want to change it. Just want to have my Netgear work as a bridge between my Actiontec modem/router and my Netgear router to allow use of Netflix and my Tivo guide to be updated each day.

Thanks

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I would say that it should be able to do so.

You would need to disable the DHCP on the netgear router.

Set the Netgear LAN IP address to something outside of the Actiontec DHCP port range so it is different than the Actiontec, but on the same network.

Connect the Netgear LAN to the Actiontec LAN, and do not use the Netgear WAN port.

I know the Actiontec will work this way and get IPs from a different router, because all but the wan ports are bridged by default. I am not sure if the Netgear bridges the Wireless and LAN but it should.

Remenber for managing the Netgear wireless, you will need to log into it for the security and wireless settings. That is the reason for giving it a different LAN address but on the same network as the Actiontec.

I have my Actiontec bridged this way and it works great. I have never thought of doing it your way.

0 Likes
renoirport

I tried your solution and the router is broadcasting  but I have no internet at the Netgear router.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@renoirport wrote:

How can I use my netgear WNDR3700 router as a bridge on FIOS? I need to establish a N network to support my two TIVOs. I have FIOS TV, Internet and phone. All HD TV is via cable cards & TIVO. Two other TV are attached to a Verizon basic cable box.

Is there some special reason you want to set it up as a bridge?

Far easier to just set it up as a new subnet.

Connect a machine directly to one of the lan ports on the netgear without it being connected to anything else.  Login to it as admin and change the subnet - make the router address 192.168.2.1, dhcp range 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.250 dhcp server active and set the router wan side to be static ip address 192.168.1.254 gateway 192.168.1.1 dns 192.168.1.1   save the settings.

Now connect the wan port of the netgear to one of the lan ports of the VZ router. 

This will give you wireless connections to either of the subnets, however connecting to the VZ subnet will not allow you access to devices on the netgear subnet (unless you want to mess about with routing).

Connecting to the netgear subnet will allow you access to evrything on that subnet, everything on the VZ subnet and full internet access.

If you have port forwarding rules on the VZ router that you want to get to devices on the netgear router you will need to change them on the VZ router to point to 192.168.1.254 and then set the rules up on the netgear router to forward them to the devices on the 192,168.2 subnet.

0 Likes
jtravapd

I am using the verizon router as  the starting point for my internet connection (i turned of the wifi on the verizon router, but you don't have to).  Then i just used a network cable and plug one end into one of the 4 open lan ports on the back of your verizon router, and the other end, plug into the Internet Input port on the back of your netgear router.  That will enable wifi, and you could use the 4 open ports on the netgear router also , if you needed to.

0 Likes