Using Own Router After Verizon Router
Crayfish1

I am planning on getting my own high speed router but need to keep the old Verizon router since I have Fios and TV.  Reading these instructions and it says to use the new router and connect the old Verizon router after so it goes ONT - my router - Verizon router- STB. 

What would be the biggest difference from a set up like this: ONT - Verizon router - split to my router and STB? 

0 Likes
Re: Using Own Router After Verizon Router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

We need more information from you. For instance, what models are your Verizon router and personal router? The setup largely depends on the NAT throughputs of both routers.

You should always place the router with the greater NAT throughputs as the primary one.

0 Likes
Crayfish1

The Verizon router is the old ActionTec and I just bought a new Asus AX3000 router.  

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok. To receive the maximum speed of your subscription, your router needs to be the primary router. Do you have a Verizon DVR that needs to be accessed remotely? If not, you can do a layer 2 bridge (LAN<-->LAN) between Actiontec and your router. You need to turn off all layer 3 function (disable Broadband Connection and DHCP server) on Actiontec, so it only acts as a layer 2 switch and MoCA adapter.

If you need to remotely access your DVR programming, there is no known simple solution.