Using Own Wireless Router
nzak87

Hi,

I'm currently using my own wireless router.  It's currently plugged into the ONT, but I'd like to plug it into a different ethernet jack in my house that is more convenient than the location of the ONT.

I tried calling tech support, but they didn't answer after being on hold for half an hour.  The other person I spoke with (a salesman or general help person, not a technician) said it would cost $150 to have a tech come out to "activate" the ethernet port.

Frankly, I'm not going to pay that kind of money to have them enable a port on the wall that should already enabled.  Sadly, if Verizon can't fix this ASAP, I'm just going to have to cancel service and go back to comcast. 😞

Any help folks on the board could give is welcome! Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Using Own Wireless Router
jonjones1
Legend

@nzak87 wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently using my own wireless router.  It's currently plugged into the ONT, but I'd like to plug it into a different ethernet jack in my house that is more convenient than the location of the ONT.

I tried calling tech support, but they didn't answer after being on hold for half an hour.  The other person I spoke with (a salesman or general help person, not a technician) said it would cost $150 to have a tech come out to "activate" the ethernet port.

Frankly, I'm not going to pay that kind of money to have them enable a port on the wall that should already enabled.  Sadly, if Verizon can't fix this ASAP, I'm just going to have to cancel service and go back to comcast. 😞

Any help folks on the board could give is welcome! Thanks in advance!

Well you have me a little confused. You cannot blame Verizon for your wall ports. Did Verizon install them? 

If you are on a speed tier at 100/100 or below the connection is via coaxial (MOCA) and Verizon will enable ethernet for free via a phone call, but if you don’t have a compatible ONT or you don’t have ethernet set up then it will do you no good to switch over. You then would need a premise visit. But that is up to you.

believe nothing a sales person says at Verizon or any company. They are trying to upsell you or lock you into a contract and possible price increase. That is how they make their money.

0 Likes
Re: Using Own Wireless Router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the ethernet jack go to where you want to move the router go to a panel in the basement? If it does, the ethernet from ont possibly goes there too. Either way just get an ethernet from ont to where the other end of that jack is. There are female to female couplers to plug each end together. although thats not the optimal way but better than nothing. Id prefer to have a patch panel. 

0 Likes