Using a ECB2200V moca network adaptor with the M1424WR GigE router. Will this setup work?
NYC-Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Currently I have the FIOS M1424WR GigE router in my guest bedroom which also doubles as my office. I have it connected by a ethernet cable to my desktop computer. In addition we have two laptops and an iPad that use the router's wireless connection. The issue I am having is the range of the router as the wireless signal is extremely weak in my dining room area and also the far end of my living room.

My apartment is wired with coax cable throughout. A friend suggested that I get a ECB2200V moca network adaptor and change the location of the M1424WR GigE router to the living room so I will get a stronger signal in the areas where we constantly use our wireless devices.

In my guest room and also the living room I have TV's. The living room is connected to a DVR  and there is a hi def box in the guest bedroom.

This is what I propose to do and need to know if it will work prior to ordering the ECB2200V moca network adaptor.

Use a splitter before the ECB2200V moca network adaptor in the guest bedroom and connect one coax cable straight from the splitter to the hi def cable box for the TV and the other coax cable to the ECB2200V moca network adaptor and then use an ethernet cable to connect to my desktop computer.

In the living room I will use a splitter and run one coax cable to the DVR and the other coax cable to the M1424WR GigE router.

Will this solve my problem or is there something else I need to do?

0 Likes
Using a ECB2200V adaptor - Will this setup work? - SURE WILL!
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@NYC-Guy wrote:

... This is what I propose to do and need to know if it will work prior to ordering the ECB2200V moca network adaptor.

Use a splitter before the ECB2200V moca network adaptor in the guest bedroom and connect one coax cable straight from the splitter to the hi def cable box for the TV and the other coax cable to the ECB2200V moca network adaptor and then use an ethernet cable to connect to my desktop computer.

In the living room I will use a splitter and run one coax cable to the DVR and the other coax cable to the M1424WR GigE router.

Will this solve my problem or is there something else I need to do?

This will work perfectly, with probably no need to change any settings on either the router or the set top boxes.  Go right ahead.

0 Likes
Re: Using a ECB2200V adaptor - Will this setup work? - SURE WILL!
NYC-Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

On the VZ site I see that they are selling a 5-1675 Mhz moca  2  way coax splitter. I was going to stop at Radio Shack on the way home, is that the type I need to purchase?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@NYC-Guy wrote:

On the VZ site I see that they are selling a 5-1675 Mhz moca  2  way coax splitter. I was going to stop at Radio Shack on the way home, is that the type I need to purchase?

Yes (or equivalent).

0 Likes
NYC-Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have never seen the "description "moca" printed on a coax splitter like they have on the VZ site, is there any difference between that and the older splitters?

weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

I've never purchased one, but the real items to look for are the frequency range and '2-way'.

0 Likes