Using a FIOS Router with a home that is wired with CAT6 outlets
Wi-Not
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently got FIOS internet/Televsion in a newer house that has a wired network, with CAT6 outlets in most rooms.

The FIOS router was set up for wireless and does not reach everywhere in the house.

How do I make use of the pre--wired home?

Ideally, I would like to use both the wireless and the hardwired lines.

I still  have by old  Netgear Router (Dual Band) -that I might be able to set up as a repeater (but isn't clear that it is possible).

Can I set up a wireless network with the Netgear router by plugging the ethernet port into the wall in room distant from the FIOS router?

I can't find any guidance on how to do any of these tasks.

Any help pointing me in th eright directionwoul dbe appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Using a FIOS Router with a home that is wired with CAT6 outlets
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You sure can have a Wireless repeater on the network using the existing Cat 6 wire. On my FiOS setup I currently have 3 different wireless repeaters all thoughout the house, no issues.

I can probably find you a guide, would you be able to provide the model of the Netgear router you would want to be using as the repeater? Most routers universally support being a hotspot, and generally the steps are:

1. Disable the DCHP server on the router going to be the repeater
  2. Make sure the WiFi SSID and Password are the same (This is optional, and you can have two seperate WiFi signals, but for convience its best if you use the same information as your main router so your devices will seamlessly connect depending where you are in the house).
  3. Now, plug one end of the Cat6 cable in your wall to one of the yellow "LAN" ports on your FiOS router, and then on the other end plug into a "LAN" port on the other router.

9 times out of 10 this method will work, although I can be more specific if I had the router model.

Hope this helped Smiley Happy

Wi-Not
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks 

I have NetGear R6400-AC1750.

I just dug up the manual on line and will try it this weeknend.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

What you are setting up is an AP.    Repeaters are to be avoided since they effectively half your speed.

The prior instructions should work, but be sure to put the radios on diffrent channels.   Use only channels 1 - 6 - 11.

Be sure that none of the radios are on automatic.

Try with a single SSID for both routers/APs   but many people find using diffrent SSIDs allows people to manually select the nearest and therefore stongest signal which will give a faster connection.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah yes.. look for Access Point Mode... my bad, not sure why I put "Repeater" there.

0 Likes