Using a Netgear Wireless adapter but internet is horribly intermittent.
HelterSkelter

So I recently moved and got Fios in the new house. The modem/router is actually upstairs in this two story house so I'm stuck using a wireless adapter. Unfortunately for me it seems like for some reason or another my Fios modem dislikes my adapter and will disconnect me constantly several times a day for long periods of time. I have no idea what could be causing this and it's extremely frustrating at this point. I had a Verizon representative come to the house not that long ago on a routine check-up but he just said that I needed a wireless card that Verizon supplys because anything else I use "shouldn't pick up the Fios signal". Which obviously isn't true because I'm getting internet right now without it. Anyway long story short I need to fix this problem because it's driving me insane!

0 Likes
Re: Using a Netgear Wireless adapter but internet is horribly intermittent.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the brand and model of your wireless router?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I suggest you change the wireless channel.

Go to wireless settings from top menu bar

Choose Basic Wireless Settings on left

Option 3 is Channel. If its automatic try changing it to 1,6, or 11.  Even though you have 1-11, wireless works best on one of those three.

Report back your results.

0 Likes
HelterSkelter

I went into the router settings and changed the channel and it seems to have solved the issue as far as disconnects go but I'm still not getting the speeds I should be getting. Anyone know why this might be and how I could solve this?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@HelterSkelter wrote:

I went into the router settings and changed the channel and it seems to have solved the issue as far as disconnects go but I'm still not getting the speeds I should be getting. Anyone know why this might be and how I could solve this?

What speeds are you expecting to get?

Your issue is probably signal strenth after passing through a couple of walls and floors.  What does your signal connection describe itself as, poor, good, v good, excellent?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

What's the distance between the router and the PC? What is the signal strength of the wireless LAN connection?  Have you tried updating the netgear wireless adapter drivers?

0 Likes
HelterSkelter

This is what I'm using. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+Powerline+Ethernet+Adapter+Kit/8919708.p?id=1214004487426&skuI...

I'm downstairs and the router is upstairs. Although I'm not very far from the router so that shouldn't be an issue. Especially with FiOS. With my current configuration it doesn't give me signal strength simply because I'm technically hardwired.

0 Likes
Shirley4
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think many people are having problems with slow connections today. Is it slow for you for all sites? If not all sites, then it might be a problem for everyone, at least those of us in southern California.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@HelterSkelter wrote:

This is what I'm using. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+Powerline+Ethernet+Adapter+Kit/8919708.p?id=1214004487426&skuI...

I'm downstairs and the router is upstairs. Although I'm not very far from the router so that shouldn't be an issue. Especially with FiOS. With my current configuration it doesn't give me signal strength simply because I'm technically hardwired.

Hmm, so far any advice you have been given will have been completeley wrong as your post's title said Wireless Network ADAPTER and what you actually meant that you have a Wired Router, albeit wired via power line.

Is your machine hard wired connected to the Netgear device? or do you have another wireless router connected to it?

When you played with the wireless channels in response to an earlier posters comments it should have had ZERO effect on the connectivity as you are not connected wirelessly.

That device is rated for 85mb on a good day

Are the 2 ends of the devices connected directly into a wall socket? no powers strips, extension cords etc?

if you test your speed via http://speedtest.verizon.net what results does it give you?

This review sounds just like your issue

Summary: The first set up is so exciting. We have adapters in 5 rooms (at great but desperate expense). The speed throughout was amazing...for the first week. Then we were getting intermittent connectivity. You'd lose connection and wait 10 minutes and it might come back on. Now I find out that some electrical appliances in your home can interfere with the signal. So keep the television off!!! It's back to adjusting settings on a daily basis. DeJaVuWireless. I get speeds of 150 on one unit and 25 on another. $600 bucks down the drain!!!

HelterSkelter

To answer your questions I am connected though hard wire and both of the ends are connected directly into the wall sockets. The speed tests won't seem to commence at the moment. Should I look into purchasing a new wireless adapter?

0 Likes