Using a combination of my own netgear nighthawk router, MOCA, and G1100 router
chaosthunda4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Currently I have the standalone Verizon Fios 300/300 internet service, but would like to hardwire more of the devices on my network, especially the ones on the second floor. Currently I receive internet from the ONT through ethernet and into my personal router, which is a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 I believe and located on the first floor. I noticed that I have coax ports in most of my rooms (unsure if they are all connected) so I was looking into using MOCA adapters available on amazon or the Fios network adapter. I was thinking that maybe if I buy the Fios Network adapter, connect it to ethernet from the router, and then connect the coaxial port of the FNA to the nearest coaxial line in the room that I will be able to have internet throughout all the coaxial lines in my house. Again this is dependent on whether all the coaxial lines are connected which I am assuming they are. If this setup works, I was thinking I could pull out my old g1100 router and connect it to a coax port on the second floor and have that router bridged to my main router so it basically acts as a wifi extender and ethernet hub. So basically this is the setup I have in mind:

First Floor

ONT->ethernet->Netgear Nighthawk->ethernet->FNA/MOCA->coax->coax port

Second Floor:

Coax Port->coax->Fios G1100->ethernet->any of my devices

Can anyone verify whether this would work? I'm unsure whether I can use the FNA like this or any other MOCA adapter. Also unsure if I would just need to have internet coming from the ONT in both ethernet and coax.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using a combination of my own netgear nighthawk router, MOCA, and G1100 router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just set everything up and it works great with no issues. All you have to do is login to the G1100 and change your IP from 192.168.1.1 to an IP address in your router's DHCP pool and scroll down and disable the DHCP server. Once applied, you G1100 will basically be a four port switch fed via MoCA. Also if you don't need the wifi turn that off as well. 

View solution in original post

Re: Using a combination of my own netgear nighthawk router, MOCA, and G1100 router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't see why that wouldn't work. I would  change the G1100's IP to be in your Nighthawk's DHCP range and disable the G1100 DHCP server. This way you won't be in a double NAT. 

chaosthunda4
Enthusiast - Level 2

The thing that I am still worried about though is that my connection from the ONT is through ethernet and I am unsure if the FNA can receive internet through one of its ethernet ports and have the coax in port act as a coax out port. If this were the case, then I could leave my nighthawk downstairs and use my G1100 upstairs. I guess I could just use the G1100 downstairs and connect the coax port from that directly to the nearest coax outlet, but I am also unsure on whether the coax port on the G1100 can output internet.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not really an input or output since the FNA is a bridge. Data travels in both directions. I use a FNA to create a MoCA Network for my set-top box. I also have a G1100 that I have for a backup since I use my own router. I'll try it out tonight when I get home to make sure it works. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just set everything up and it works great with no issues. All you have to do is login to the G1100 and change your IP from 192.168.1.1 to an IP address in your router's DHCP pool and scroll down and disable the DHCP server. Once applied, you G1100 will basically be a four port switch fed via MoCA. Also if you don't need the wifi turn that off as well. 

chaosthunda4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Once I get home in a few weeks I'll test this, but I trust that it will work. I'll reply again if I have any issues. Thanks again for testing it out yourself!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem. Let me know how you make out. Also one other note, whatever you change the G1100's IP address to is what you will have to use to login.  192.168.1.1 or myfiosgateway.com will no longer work. 

chaosthunda4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually one more question, if I follow your advice with changing my G1100's ip address to one that is in my primary router's DHCP pool, will that make it so that the G1100 acts as an extender for my Netgear router?

0 Likes
VTech1

I don't think the G1100 is acting as an extender. The problem is that the G1100 and the Netgear routers cannot share the same IP address in the respective DHCP pools otherwise there is the possibility they would both assign the same IP address to different wireless device. You have to configure the routers so that their DHCP address ranges do not overlap.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The OP is using the G1100 as a MoCA adapter not as a router. The G1100 isn’t giving out IP addresses in this situation as the DHCP server should be disabled in the G1100.