Using a different router than the standard FIOS Actiontec Router
mcmeekan

I've been frustrated with the Actiontec (I don't have the latest version as I'm not willing to pay $75 for something I can not own) and I am considering going to an Asus RT-N66U router.  Since I do not have ANY FIOS TV boxes in the house (I use only cable cards with multiple Tivo boxes and a Windows Media Center), what impact will I have if I move from the COAX out on the ONT to the CAT5 out on the ONT so that I can use the Asus router without having to bridge through the Actiontec router?  Should I be aware of any issues or limitation (beyond the fact that Verizon will not provide me with support) if I go this route?  What have been other's experiences with such an approach?  Thanks!  

0 Likes
Re: Using a different router than the standard FIOS Actiontec Router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In this case, no impact. Just a different connection between the router and the ONT, but you should see some lower latency to the Verizon network as a result of doing tht. When you request the switch from MoCa Coax to Ethernet Verizon should do the change and also break your DHCP lease so that you can connect using your new router. Just be sure to run your own cable, otherwise Verizon will charge you for that kind of work; the switching between the two types of WAN connections is free.

Re: Using a different router than the standard FIOS Actiontec Router
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Just make sure to release the DHCP lease on the actiontec, before you switch it out for the new router.

fyi,  the 75 $ gives you ownership of the router, but I personally would still buy my own.  I'd like a lot of features that the $75 router does not give you.

0 Likes