Using a splitter
cdiaz1069

Hello,

I would like to move the Verizon router downstairs next to the TV so I can connect my XBOX via a network cable to maximize the Internet speed for it. If I connect a splitter to the coax coming in and then a coax to the Motorola STB and XBOX, would that have a negative impact on anything?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Using a splitter
cdiaz1069

I meant coax to the STB and router, not XBOX.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@cdiaz1069 wrote:

... I would like to move the Verizon router downstairs next to the TV so I can connect my XBOX ... If I connect a splitter to the coax coming in and then a coax to the Motorola STB and XBOX [sic], would that have a negative impact on anything? 

Added: I meant coax to the STB and router, not XBOX.

It will work.  Just be sure your splitter meets the specifications for FiOS network components.  I cannot quote chapter-and-verse just now but it's something like "passive bi-directional splitter rated 5-1000Mhz" or similar.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Found this post for you.

Re: COAX wire and a splitter to hook up FIOS

‎06-23-2009 01:01 PM

Re: splitters

A few of thoughts:

1) as spacedebrismark said, the splitter needs to be bi-directional because the STBs need to talk back to the router. Any splitter(s) also should cover the frequency range from 5 MHz to 1000 MHz. The splitters that Verizon uses, at least the ones I have gotten, are made by PDI and are called "Mega Splitters."

2) You want as few splitters in your network as posssible, and you want as few splits on the splitter you get as you need (ie, don't get a 6-way splitter when a 2-way  or 3-way or whatever will meet your needs). And if you do get a splitter with more outputs than you need, I have seen recommendations to get terminators to put on the unused outputs (I don't know if that is really necessary or not).

3) If you see a Verizon truck in your neighborhood you might ask the tech if he will give you one. I have had success with that, and I have also gone to the local Verizon store and asked and they gave me one. Never hurts to ask, you might save 

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX76248 

Hope this helps.

0 Likes