Using actiontec to distribute IP through WNDR3700
ubrgeek
Contributor - Level 1

Good afternoon. We connect wirelessly to our Netgear WNDR3700 which is connected to our Actiontec. (The connect is great, as i the speed). Right now, the Netgear handles handing out the IP addresses to our internal devices while the Actiontec obviously handles doing so to the STB (and the Netgear router itself). I'm wondering if there's a way to combine that so either the Acitontec is the sole source of IP addresses or the Netgear does so? If it matters, the FIOS router is MI424-WR 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.12.3 while the WNDR3700 is using firemware version V1.0.4.68NA. Many thanks.

Tags (1)
Re: Using actiontec to distribute IP through WNDR3700
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Please explain how the connection is made between the Actiontec Router and the Netgear?

You come out of a port on the Actiontec and go into what port on the Netgear?  

What IP address is your wireless devices getting?  

--------------------------------------------------------------------

You are probably going into the WAN port on the netgear which means you are on a different network than the Actiontec.

You would need to bridge the netgear, meaning plug into a LAN port on the netgear instead of the WAN/Internet port.

Before changing anything you would then need to give your LAN side of the netgear an IP address on the same network as the Actiontec.  Go high on the address since the actiontec starts at 192.168.1.2 and goes up for devices connecting. (STB's start at 192.168.1.100)   I suggest you give the netgear an address of 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0.  Then disable DHCP on the netgear then move the connection from the WAN/Internet Port to one of the netgear LAN ports.

I'm sure there is a document out there with specific instructions and maybe someone here has that.

Jim

Hubrisnxs
Legend
  • Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?
  • I think this document goes over what jumpin68ny was talking about.

ubrgeek
    Contributor - Level 1

Thanks jumpin68ny. It does indeed bring everything onto one network (192.168.1.*). The downside is the Netgear doesn't want to respond to routerlogin.net and the readyshare device connected to it doesn't show up, either. So while it resolves one of my questions, it opens up new ones 🙂

jumpin68ny
    Master - Level 2

You may need to manually configure the IP address on the netgear router.

I have a linksys wireless router connected here and gave the Linksys LAN address 19.168.1.254.  I then disabled DHCP on the Linksys.  I get my addressing from the actiontec and use the linksys for wireless and additional ports I need while still on the 192.168.1.x network.

viafax999
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

@ubrgeek wrote:

Thanks jumpin68ny. It does indeed bring everything onto one network (192.168.1.*). The downside is the Netgear doesn't want to respond to routerlogin.net and the readyshare device connected to it doesn't show up, either. So while it resolves one of my questions, it opens up new ones 🙂

You need to login to the netgear router at the ip address you assigned it on the 192.168.1  subnet.