Using cable modem with blu-ray player
lj30
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just had FiOS installed.  I have a Samsung blu-ray player that's too far away such that wi-fi is not reliable.

Can I use a cable modem to gain access hard-wired?  Since the STB has an IP address I take it I should be able to split the coax, feed it to a modem and then on to my blu-ray payer's CAT-5 port.

If this is possible what modems are compatible?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Re: Using cable modem with blu-ray player
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Your idea is sound, but instead of a cable modem what you need is a "Moca Adaptor". Something like THIS* . And when you split the cable, make sure that you use a high bandwidth splitter. Something like THIS* And then all should be good.

*Just examples

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ljustesen wrote:

I just had FiOS installed.  I have a Samsung blu-ray player that's too far away such that wi-fi is not reliable.

Can I use a cable modem to gain access hard-wired?  Since the STB has an IP address I take it I should be able to split the coax, feed it to a modem and then on to my blu-ray payer's CAT-5 port.

If this is possible what modems are compatible?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

No you can't feed a cable modem,

But of course you could just move the router to where you were thinking of putting the cable modem.  Or put the router anywhere that is in between your wireless devices.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@ljustesen wrote:

Can I use a cable modem to gain access hard-wired? 

As other have said, FIOS does not use cable modems.

If you're looking for an explanation of what Spacedebris suggested, there is more information on MOCA Bridges here:

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?