Using my own 11N router
mgdim

Got Fios about 18months ago and they unhooked my 11n router and installed the verizon 11g. not a techie but i thought 11n was better? Can I switch back or do i need to use their router?

0 Likes
Re: Using my own 11N router
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@mgdim wrote:

Can I switch back or do I need to use their router?

That depends primarily on two things:

Do you have FIOS TV?

Is your router connected to the ONT via coax or cat5?

There are a number of ways to run your own router outlined here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Hubrisnxs
Legend

if you want minimal to no configuration and you want plug and play, then do this.  when you buy a router, ask or google what the default ip address is for that router.

if it says 192.168.1.1  then don't buy it unless you don't mind doing a little configuration and changing that ip when you plug it in.

the verizon router uses that address so there will be a conflict.

belkin and dlink don't use that number so those are typically plug and play.

you simply plug the internet or wan port of the new router, to a LAN port on the actiontec, and everything will work right out of the gate.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

if you want minimal to no configuration and you want plug and play, then do this.  when you buy a router, ask or google what the default ip address is for that router.

if it says 192.168.1.1  then don't buy it unless you don't mind doing a little configuration and changing that ip when you plug it in.

the verizon router uses that address so there will be a conflict.

belkin and dlink don't use that number so those are typically plug and play.

you simply plug the internet or wan port of the new router, to a LAN port on the actiontec, and everything will work right out of the gate.

Just because the router that they buy does not use 192.168.1.1 by Default, does not mean the router's IP Address was not changed to 192.168.1.1

This does not mean, that the user should not just reset their own router back to the defaults.

Since the OP is at it be sure to know how to reset what ever router that back to the Defaults, in case they need to.

0 Likes