Using my own router in new install
msw5045
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will be moving soon from an apartment into a three-story house. I've had Verizon services for eight years and I've just used the rented router since I had TV & Internet, and I heard it was easier to use their router with TV. I am planning on moving to Internet only and getting YouTube TV, since it basically has all the channels I would want can can save me some money on topbox rentals etc.

From what i gather, if I use my own router (I'm looking at Netgear Nighthawk) the set-up process would work like this:

1. Verizon tech sets up ONT terminal

2. ONT terminal is wired to whatever room I want to set-up router in

3. I would then need to set up my own router since it's not a Verizon router

I've heard some things about having to release a DHCP license and needing to connect to a verizon router first, but I think that was with a house where they were already using a verizon router. With a new install, I think I should be able to directly connect the internet service to my own router for setup. Can anyone help confirm this? Verizon's chat support is obviously catered to buying their $300 router (which seems like a high price and reviews seem to be mixed?). Thanks for any guidance! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using my own router in new install
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

1. Correct 

2. Correct 

3. The tech will definitely connect it for you, but make sure it is unboxed and powered up. Netgear routers can sometimes be a pain to setup new. You have to download the app on your phone and go though the setup. It will then start to do updates and you will know the internet is working. This setup and and configuration changes the tech will not do.
On a new install you won’t need to worry about releasing the IP. That is only if there is a router already in place. The new Verizon router is more expensive because it is Wifi6(AX). While $300 is expensive there are other AX routers out there that are even more. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

1. Correct 

2. Correct 

3. The tech will definitely connect it for you, but make sure it is unboxed and powered up. Netgear routers can sometimes be a pain to setup new. You have to download the app on your phone and go though the setup. It will then start to do updates and you will know the internet is working. This setup and and configuration changes the tech will not do.
On a new install you won’t need to worry about releasing the IP. That is only if there is a router already in place. The new Verizon router is more expensive because it is Wifi6(AX). While $300 is expensive there are other AX routers out there that are even more. 

msw5045
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for guidance! Would it be worth it to just get the Verizon router and then be eligible for easier tech support? My main concern is that in a 3 story house I want coverage in top floor without having to buy the $200 extenders from Verizon as well. I’m not the biggest tech person so if that router works fine I might just go with their one. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The new FiOS Home Router is supposed to have pretty good range. If you can get on the first floor out of the basement you’ll probably  be good. You can also look into a mesh wifi like Google Wifi or Netgear Orbi.