Using my own router with only fiber optic coming into home
NotonTV
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, this is correct.  I have fiber optic coming to my ONT outside, which simply connects to a double-ended male fiber optic coming in to my Verizon router.

Can I use my own router to avoid a monthly rental fee?

Anyone know how?

I've spent a week trying to get someone on the phone, but either get a 'front line' customer service rep that doesn't believe me (despite dedicating the hour it takes trying to get to Tech Support) or the call to India gets dropped.

Will I have issues related to 'passive optical network' protocols?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using my own router with only fiber optic coming into home
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The pictured black device with the fiber attached is a GPON ONT.  It is owned and manged by Verizon.  The box with the double sided connector is an old BPON ONT.  It looks like Verizon simply by-passed it when they installed the GPON ONT, which likely occurred when you upgraded to speeds above 75Mbps.  They usually remove the old equipment, I've no idea whey they left it in place.  Although it does appear to be un-powered.

You cannot replace the Verizon ONT with your own equipment.  You cannot buy GPON ONTs, and even if you got your hands on one, Verizon would never provision it.  It is part of the network and they take care of it as part of the contract.  If you break it, they will charge a huge amount of money to fix it.  I suggest you don't mess around with the fiber, as literally belongs to Verizon.

Your interface to the Verizon network is the Ethernet port on the ONT.  You can attached whatever router you like to it.  If you use your own router, Verizon support ends at the ONT.  Not an issue for a techie, but something to be aware of.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

First off if internet only and if your using ethernet, you can get an Asus or Netgear or tp link archer and just do a release on the dns on the verizon router and immediately unplug from power so it doesn’t get another connection.

then plug in your new router to power on, then connect the ethernet cable to the WAN port on your customer owned router. It should grab a new dns and you should be connected.

remember Verizon fios will not give any support or advice to a customer looking to either not use their rental equipment or connecting to your own router. Support then stops at the ONT

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your post is confusing.

You would have Fiber coming in to your ONT. ONT outputs are Ethernet, coax and POTS. So you have fiber running out of ONT to a Verizon Router?

What is the model number of the Verizon router?

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm going to suggest that you post some pictures of the ONT (with the cover open) so we can see what you're dealing with as well as where this piece of fiber optic cable you reference runs to and what it connects to.

What you describe simply is not the way FiOS is installed or works for anyone.

Once we can see the pictures, we should be able to better advise what you're dealing with.

NotonTV
Enthusiast - Level 2

imageimageimage

 As stated...fiber optic is coming into the home and directly connected to the router.

ONT box encloses a simple double sided female connector to extend the fiber cable.

Black cable is fiber from street, white is headed into home.

I am using internet only.

Yes I know how to plug in an ethernet cable.

I could buy a router that accepts fiber, but will I have issues with Fios using a Passive Optical Network protocol?

jonjones1
Legend

Actually if you look at the one photo it states ONT which looks like the optical cable was connected to the box with the optic cable set to an indoor Optical Network Terminal and a verizon power supply.

the connection should now be from that ONT you plug in a ethernet cable in that ONT and the other end to a verizon router WAN port. I don’t see any router in those photos

after connections to router you should have working service. Just make sure to call verizon fios to set it to ethernet.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NotonTV wrote:

imageimage

What is the exact brand and model of that device above and what is the exact brand and model of that device below?

@NotonTV wrote:

???

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The pictured black device with the fiber attached is a GPON ONT.  It is owned and manged by Verizon.  The box with the double sided connector is an old BPON ONT.  It looks like Verizon simply by-passed it when they installed the GPON ONT, which likely occurred when you upgraded to speeds above 75Mbps.  They usually remove the old equipment, I've no idea whey they left it in place.  Although it does appear to be un-powered.

You cannot replace the Verizon ONT with your own equipment.  You cannot buy GPON ONTs, and even if you got your hands on one, Verizon would never provision it.  It is part of the network and they take care of it as part of the contract.  If you break it, they will charge a huge amount of money to fix it.  I suggest you don't mess around with the fiber, as literally belongs to Verizon.

Your interface to the Verizon network is the Ethernet port on the ONT.  You can attached whatever router you like to it.  If you use your own router, Verizon support ends at the ONT.  Not an issue for a techie, but something to be aware of.

NotonTV
Enthusiast - Level 2

Great! , it seems like you know what you are talking about.

Yes, I think that they simply used the BPON ONT box for weatherproofing.  The old equipment is definitely not powered or attached to anything.  I think that the coax was probably left out of laziness.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

NotonTV
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you jonjones for your help