Using own Router with FIOS gigabit and TV - OnDemand won't work
WestcherNY50
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi everyone,

I had FIOS-Gigabit & TV installed last week and got blazing fast speeds 800/850 with wired ethernet to my laptop.  But the FIOS gateway WIFI connection is not great, has poor range and creates lags for my sons gaming.

So I followed the directions posted by JustinG (THANKS!!!!) to use my own router first.

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632

I have a netgear 7800 router that has much better range and creates less lag for my son playing video games so I plugged that directly to the ethernet port fios/VZ installed in my office wall which is connected by ethernet cable to the VZ white box in my garage.  Direct network and wifi working great through my own router.

Then i did the ethernet cable from the netgear 7800 LAN output to the FIOS gateway WAN input.  and FIOS gateway also still has the direct coax connection from the big white VZ box in the garage.  Turned on the fios router.

The FIOS router has both lights white (internet and wifi)

And my Netgear Wifi network still works great.

I then unplugged and replugged my 2 cable boxes.

I can connect to to verizon fios router using wifi but it doesnt then connect to internet.

The guide seems to be working fine so far.

but OnDemand does not work -  how do i fix that please?

(This is a killer since wife and daughter like to use OnDemand a lot.)

(Need good wifi gaming for son and good OnDemand for them!)

Also, do i need to leave on the FIOS wifi network or can i turn that off (by logging into fios gateway router) to reduce interference?  (ie do the 2 cable boxes get any info/data over wifi or only from the coax?)

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!

Westchester Dad

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using own Router with FIOS gigabit and TV - OnDemand won't work
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello WestcherNY50!

I think I know what the problem is. Your Netgear uses an IP subnet of 192.168.1.X/24 and the Verizon router also uses 192.168.1.X/24 for its network.

First, disconnect the ethernet cable going to the WAN of the FiOS gateway. Connect to it's network (either by ethernet or WiFi), and load the page http://192.168.1.1

The username and password are on a sticker on the side of the device.

Once you've logged in, Click the My Network button on the top navbar.  Then, click the Network Connections button on the side navbar. Lastly, click Network (Home/Office)

After clicking the Network (Home/Office) button you'll be brought to a page with Network Properties. Scroll to the bottom and click the grey Settings button.

imageNow, go to the section that shows IP address:. You'll see a box here with 192.168.1.1. 

Change that to 192.168.99.1. 

imageAfter changing the address to 99, scroll down and click apply. 

Now, reconnect to the ethernet cable from the LAN of the netgear to the WAN of the FiOS gateway, and reboot the gateway.

Now, reboot all your set top boxes and check if they work again.

To disable WiFi, connect to the FiOS gateway's wifi network, and open the webpage of http://192.168.99.1. This is the same username / password as before.

Click Wireless Settings from the top navbar, select Basic Security Settings on the left side navbar, then turn both 2.4 GHz Wireless: and  5 GHz Wireless: to Off. Scroll down, and click apply. 

Note you do NOT want your G1100 as primary here as you create something called a double NAT, which while everything will appear to work well at first you will run into issues in the future, especially with gaming.

Edit: I missed your 2nd post about putting the netgear into access point mode. This is fine and won't cause a double NAT. Regardless, I'd still suggest you give the netgear another shot. 

Post back if you run into any issues!

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

You are making this too difficult.

leave the Fios Quantum Gateway Router as primary. The ethernet from the ONT (white box) plugged into the WAN port on the Quantum.

then take your Netgear and login to it and select access point mode. Then make sure there is a ethernet cable going from one of the LAN ports on the Quantum router to the WAN port on the Netgear .

then login to the Fios Quantum Gateway 192.168.1.1 and turn off the WiFi on it.

your Netgear will handle WiFi as well as ip assignment. 

http://routerlogin.net is how to access the Netgear.

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-set...

Or https://kb.netgear.com/23784/I-m-setting-up-my-NETGEAR-router-for-the-first-time-how-do-I-set-it-to-...

Its very easy. 

WestcherNY50
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks JonJones,

giving the easy solution a try.

TV is back to working normally.

WIFI is working through Netgear Access Point Mode 

Ill wait to say fixed until my son screams about lag or not.

cheers

jonjones1
Legend

It will be fine. Netgear makes a fine product.

although I don’t game. My Netgear Nighthawk R8500 blows any other router away.

i don’t use Fios tv or phone, so using my own router is still the best.

hope it all works out...

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello WestcherNY50!

I think I know what the problem is. Your Netgear uses an IP subnet of 192.168.1.X/24 and the Verizon router also uses 192.168.1.X/24 for its network.

First, disconnect the ethernet cable going to the WAN of the FiOS gateway. Connect to it's network (either by ethernet or WiFi), and load the page http://192.168.1.1

Once you've logged in, Click the My Network button on the top navbar.  Then, click the Network Connections button on the side navbar. Lastly, click Network (Home/Office)

After clicking the Network (Home/Office) button you'll be brought to a page with Network Properties. Scroll to the bottom and click the grey Settings button.

imageNow, go to the section that shows IP address:. You'll see a box here with 192.168.1.1. 

Now, reconnect to the ethernet cable from the LAN of the netgear to the WAN of the FiOS gateway, and reboot the gateway.

To disable WiFi, connect to the FiOS gateway's wifi network, and open the webpage of http://192.168.99.1. This is the same username / password as before.

Click Wireless Settings from the top navbar, select Basic Security Settings on the left side navbar, then turn both 2.4 GHz Wireless: and  5 GHz Wireless: to Off. Scroll down, and click apply. 

Note you do NOT want your G1100 as primary here as you create something called a double NAT, which while everything will appear to work well at first you will run into issues in the future, especially with gaming.

Edit: I missed your 2nd post about putting the netgear into access point mode. This is fine and won't cause a double NAT. Regardless, I'd still suggest you give the netgear another shot. 

ayoosman516
Enthusiast - Level 1

@JustinG, that was the best way to explain it. Changing the IP address on the fios router/modem is the best way for on demand to work while using your own router!

ahintlian

@JustinG wrote:

Hello WestcherNY50!

Same problem after FIOS replaced my ONT to fix loss of internet connection on LAN.  My configuration (which seemed to work for years for Internet/Voice/Cable TV) did not change Actiontec subnet; set to not assign DHCP (handled instead by my Asus primary router) with Actiontec set static IP outside the DHCP range used by Asus. I've ethernet from ONT to WAN port of Asus RT-AC68W (Primary router); ethernet from LAN of Asus to WAN of Actiontec Rev C, worked well for years. After ONT swap, Actiontec not getting Internet so now I've lost OnDemand and channel guide after 3 days. Swapped old Actiontec with new Rev I; same problem.

I did not change the subnet on Actiontec; I changed settings so it does NOT assign DHCP IP addresses, released its own DHCP IP address, shut off radio of wireless, and quickly rebooted it. Rebooted ONT, Asus, all STBs. Asus is set to assign DHCP IP addresses, giving Asus 192.168.1.1.  Used Asus to assign Actiontec a static IP address of 192.168.1.2; and Asus assigns IP addresses from 192.168.1.201 through 192.168.1.254. Actiontec now shows up on the network of Asus as 192.168.1.2.  Is it better to have Actiontec set itself to 192.168.99.1 a different subnet?  Or does my configuration accomplish the same thing? I only ask cuz this worked for years; now it doesn't give Actiontec internet. 

I then swapped the Actiontec for a new model Rev I; same result.

Thanks!

0 Likes
adegiarde1
Enthusiast - Level 1

"First, disconnect the ethernet cable going to the WAN of the FiOS gateway. Connect to it's network (either by ethernet or WiFi), and load the page http://192.168.1.1

The username and password are on a sticker on the side of the device."

i don't understand this part,  i mean i understand disconnect ethernet cable going to wan of fios gateway, but then connect it to what?

Zak107

Thank you so much for this info! I've been trying to figure this out all day, and your post explained everything perfectly!

0 Likes
guano1

Should the G1100 DHCP also be turned off?

0 Likes