Using own router
joelw135
Enthusiast - Level 2

I signed up for FIOS Internet, TV and Phone today.  I was told that I can use my Airport Extreme Base Station with the FIOS Modem.  My system is all Mac, iPhone, iPad and Ubuntu.  My wired and wireless network works flawlessly with Comcast at this time.  Is this just a plug and play install with FIOS and my router?  The people I spoke to said FIOS tech will make sure everything is working before they leave. Am I in for trouble or not?

0 Likes
Re: Using own router
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Well, I wouldn't say you are in for trouble...

You should be able to connect your current router into a wired port on the new router that Verizon will give you.  Tell the tek to disable the wireless on the new router.

There are instructions/guides on here that I am too lazy to look up that tell how to set up a 3rd party router.

0 Likes
joelw135
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, that is some what of a relief, I am sure I can plug it in and I will have them turn off the radio on their modem/router.  As far as changes on my router it is working now so maybe nothing will have to be done.  I hope I can still use Open DNS with FIOS.

0 Likes
miramontesc

I just ordered FiOS internet myself. I first I was thinking I just want to keep my own router that I am now using. But I should be asking what would be the best. I now have Timewarner modem to my wireless router to two routers made into switches. I have a lot of different devices networked. I don't really care what Verizon does as long as it works and it does not cost me any extra money.

Any input would be appreciated.

Chris Miramontes

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@miramontesc wrote:

I just ordered FiOS internet myself. I first I was thinking I just want to keep my own router that I am now using. But I should be asking what would be the best. I now have Timewarner modem to my wireless router to two routers made into switches. I have a lot of different devices networked. I don't really care what Verizon does as long as it works and it does not cost me any extra money.

Any input would be appreciated.

Chris Miramontes

Use the FiOS router as your main unit at least until the tech leaves, replacing your current router and see how it handles. If it gives you any trouble, proceed with getting your router hooked up via Ethernet to the ONT. DSLReports has plenty of FAQs and threads on this topic.

Just be sure if you use your own router that you watch your speeds. The FiOS routers come with very good hardware (CPU, RAM) in them. The software is always the underwhelming portion of them. A user-owned router might not have quite the horsepower to handle a FiOS connection at capacity, especially older units that were common units (WRT54Gs for example max at about 30Mbps WAN througput in one direction).

0 Likes
joelw1351
Enthusiast - Level 3

As it stands I will use my Airport Extreme Base station as my second router and as the AEBS will see the  second NAT it will put me in Bridge Mode.  I don't need port forwarding so it should work fine.  At least I don't foresee any problems.

0 Likes
daninhim
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have FIOS along with an Apple Time Capsule and an Airport Express. I tried for a couple of weeks to configure things so that I could either have both items plus the FIOS Actiontec router managing the same wireless network, or set it up so there were TWO networks in the house, one managed by the FIOS router and one by the Apple products. In the end I turned the FIOS router's wireless network off completely and am only using the Apple products to supply wireless in the house, because there were always conflicts. It's been a while so the technical details are fuzzy, but if I recall correctly the FIOS router kept trying to drop and relicense the IP address of the Apple router, which it wasn't very happy with.

0 Likes
joelw135
Enthusiast - Level 2

So did you end up in Bridge Mode or some other configuration.  I know the AEBS software has a nag warning when the router is double NATed.

0 Likes
bx_bobby

So I've been using Fios for a few months now - and one thing I know is certain - the Actiontec router is the worst in regards to signal strength.  I get better signal from a linksys located 2 floors below me - even when I'm in a clear line with the router and it's antenna. Needless to say, this needs to be fixed ASAP. 

So since I can't just replace the router - thought I would bridge it - BUT this method disables all VOD services - which blows - so no go for that.

So after my research,(which is also mentioned on this thread) I'm going to use a secondary router and just wanted to share the info I found for anyone else in need. 

Found this while searching around the interwebz - on dslreport

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#12506

Hope it helps and works so I can get more than 60% signal strength. 

0 Likes
crisss12051

I reccomend turning off the WiFi Radio on the FiOS router and putting the AirPort/Time Capsule in bridge mode. That is how I have it set up and has been working great for years.

0 Likes