Using own router
alex8828
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello I have been reading a lot about using your own router as the primary router. I have Fios with tv/phone/internet. I have the G1100 router for years and decided to upgrade to Netgear Orbi Mesh system for my home. So my set up is as follows I have cat5 coming from my ont and also coaxial cable. So what I did was I took my cat5 from the ont and pluged it in my wan port of my Orbi router, then I pluged in cat5 to lan port of my Orbi and put it into the wan port of the G1100. The only settings I changed on the G1100 was disabled wireless networks. I powered off both router and when they came back up I had internet access and the TV service worked guide, on demand, and dvr. So the only things that are not working is the caller id and on my Fios app I can not manage my dvr or set a recording from the guide on the app. So I have read this is common for using your own router. So I also read some post there is a way to get everything working but the instructions seemed to be a little complicated. These were all older post from a year or two ago. So my question is there any resoloution that is not as compliated to get everything working on the Fios TV and mobile app.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using own router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok if you really need the Orbi to be primary  you will need to get the set-top boxes IPs from the Orbi. 

Log into the G1100 and go to My Network > Network (Home/Office) > Settings. Once into the properties go down to IP Address and change 192.168.1.1 to whatever the IP range of the Orbi is giving out. Next go down to IP Address Distribution  and change DHCP Server to Disabled. 

Once that is complete you will need to reboot you set-top boxes and they should start getting IPs from the Orbi and your G1100 will be acting as a MoCA adapter. You should be able to use the FiOS TV App once everything is reconfigured. But just so you know the is zero support from Verizon in thing setup. They will only support the G1100 as primary. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The problem is you have a double NAT since you are using two routers. Keep the ethernet from ONT connected to G1100 WAN port. Connect the Orbi to G1100 LAN port and setup the Orbi in access point mode.

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

You want the G1100 to be the only DHCP server not both of them. 

alex8828
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I understand that. I need to have the Orbi router as a primary and want the Fios router for TV.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok if you really need the Orbi to be primary  you will need to get the set-top boxes IPs from the Orbi. 

Log into the G1100 and go to My Network > Network (Home/Office) > Settings. Once into the properties go down to IP Address and change 192.168.1.1 to whatever the IP range of the Orbi is giving out. Next go down to IP Address Distribution  and change DHCP Server to Disabled. 

Once that is complete you will need to reboot you set-top boxes and they should start getting IPs from the Orbi and your G1100 will be acting as a MoCA adapter. You should be able to use the FiOS TV App once everything is reconfigured. But just so you know the is zero support from Verizon in thing setup. They will only support the G1100 as primary. 

alex8828
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, I will try that. If I need Fios support I can revert it back. Question about IP address on G1100? My Orbi is issuing IP address to my devices like 10.0.0.30. What IP should I put in G1100?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sure. If you have to revert back just hard reset the G1100 for 15 seconds and put Orbi in access point mode.  

Can be anything alone the lines of 10.0.0.x but just make sure it is not anything that Orbi already assigned to another device. 

alex8828
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, will try tomorrow it's so hot today in NJ my whole family is indoors watching TV. I don't want to mess that up they'll kill me lol

RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, I think I have a similar issue.  I have the Verizon G1100 router and the Orbi system.  The router keeps losing Internet and I have to reboot the G1100 router to get Internet back.  This happens every few days.  There's nothing wrong with the G1100 router. 

Someone suggested to me that it could be a double nat issue.  If that's the case, how would I set this up so that the Orbi continues to work as it should?  I'm concerned if I "turn off" the G1100 wifi capabilities, then Verizon can't help me if I have Internet issues.

Thanks.

0 Likes
alex8828
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm just using Orbi as an AP. 

0 Likes
RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

AP means access point?  I assume access point means the Orbi and not the G1100 acts as the primary router?

0 Likes