Re: Using own router
alex8828
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes , AP is access point. I've found it much easier just to use Orbi for WiFi not routings and use G1100 as router. This way I great WiFi range and speed and I don't loose any TV capabilities.

0 Likes
Re: Using own router
RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't understand what you said.  You found it easier to use the Orbi for WiFi, but not "routings," but yet you use the G1100 as a router?  Can you please clarify for me?  Thank you.

0 Likes
Double NAT situation? Help.
RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I have the G1100 router and the Orbi system to extend the WiFi throughout my home.  I am connected through the Orbi WiFi.  However, the internet keeps crapping out every several days (resulting in the red Orbi ring) and the fix for this is to reboot the G1100.  After rebooting, the Internet works fine. 

I was told by someone this could be a double NAT situation and that's why this keeps happening.  Is that the case?  What should I do in this situation?  I want the Orbi to fulfill its purpose of extending the WiFI to every corner of my home, but I don't want to lose any functional capabilities on my FIOS TV.

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
Re: Double NAT situation? Help.
alex8828
Enthusiast - Level 3

So when you log into your Orbi router from a desktop/laptop go into setting and change from routing mode to AP mode. This will not create a double NAT. This will allow your G1100 to act as DHCP and assign IP address to all your WiFi devices and lan devices. So you must also disable WiFi on your G1100. You can find steps how to do that on the net.

RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I went to disable WiFi on my G1100, it said:

Disabling the 5 GHz antenna will prevent you from connecting to any wireless Media Clients you may be using to access our Fios TV service. You may also notice a slower connection to the Internet.

I don't want to lose anything from FIOS.  It sounds like that's what will happen here?

0 Likes
alex8828
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you have any Fios wireless media devices?

RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't think so?  Just the set up cable boxes and G1100 router are the only things in my house that's Verizon Fios related.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RJHNY1 wrote:

When I went to disable WiFi on my G1100, it said:

Disabling the 5 GHz antenna will prevent you from connecting to any wireless Media Clients you may be using to access our Fios TV service. You may also notice a slower connection to the Internet.

I don't want to lose anything from FIOS.  It sounds like that's what will happen here?

That is referring to FiOS TV One mini clients which can be connected via coax, ethernet, or wifi. If you have them hardwire then that won't apply to you. 

RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, thanks.  So if I made the Orbi the access point and I turn off the wifi settings in the G1100 router, then does this mean my Orbi is the primary router or does the G1100 remain the primary router?  It sounds like the G1100 is still the main router, but the wifi is fed through the Orbi since it's an "access point."  Do I have that right?

0 Likes
RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

One more question.  I followed the directions on this link: https://kb.netgear.com/31100/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-system-to-work-with-Fios

It says this on the bottom: Note: To avoid interference with other routers or gateways in your network, we recommend that you use different WiFi settings on each router. We recommend that you turn off the WiFi radio on your Verizon Fios router and use your Orbi router only for WiFi client access.

What is WiFi radio?  Is this the same thing as turning off the WiFi in the G1100 router settings?

0 Likes