Re: Double NAT situation? Help.
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RJHNY1 wrote:

Ok, thanks.  So if I made the Orbi the access point and I turn off the wifi settings in the G1100 router, then does this mean my Orbi is the primary router or does the G1100 remain the primary router?  It sounds like the G1100 is still the main router, but the wifi is fed through the Orbi since it's an "access point."  Do I have that right?

The G1100 is the primary and the Orbi in AP mode is just providing wifi. Yes you are correct. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RJHNY1 wrote:

One more question.  I followed the directions on this link: https://kb.netgear.com/31100/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-system-to-work-with-Fios

It says this on the bottom: Note: To avoid interference with other routers or gateways in your network, we recommend that you use different WiFi settings on each router. We recommend that you turn off the WiFi radio on your Verizon Fios router and use your Orbi router only for WiFi client access.

What is WiFi radio?  Is this the same thing as turning off the WiFi in the G1100 router settings?

Yes turning off the radio is the same as turning it off in the router settings. Just stated in a different way. 

RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you.  It's been about 24 hours since I made the Orbi an access point and turned off the wifi on the G1100 router settings.  I have not seen any slowdown or issues with the WiFi.

Now the test will be if the WiFi goes completely out every 2-3 days and the Orbi shows me the red ring.  Fingers crossed that making the Orbi the access point/turning off the G1100 wifi is going to do the trick.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me.

0 Likes
RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Welp, my wifi went out and the Orbi was displaying red ring.  I had to reboot the Orbi to get the wifi back.  

Any idea why this keeps happening?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@RJHNY1 wrote:

Welp, my wifi went out and the Orbi was displaying red ring.  I had to reboot the Orbi to get the wifi back.  

I am going to say that the accesspoint is not the culprit but the verizon router us losing the connection and in doing so is shutting down the connection to the access point.

the fios router should be only getting the connection to the internet. The Orbi should be assigning the devices and if you did turn off the wifi radio in the verizon router it us assigning wifi connections.

some posters are complaining about their fios routers going into reboot mode, or simply losing connection. I would look at having first the ONT checked by Verizon and replaced or repaired, then the Verizon router replaced to see if that helps. 

yes it could be a faulty Orbi but you can rule out the first two before the Orbi.

0 Likes
alex8828
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would call Verizon tech support they will still support there router if your using Orbi in AP mode.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RJHNY1 wrote:

If your Orbi goes red before you reboot it plug directly into your G1100 and see if you can still route. If can route then you will know it's the Orbi. If you can't route then the issue could be the G1100 or the ONT. 

0 Likes
RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the responses guys:

-The issue is not the G1100 router hardware.  This is the THIRD G1100 router this happening on (I had the original router from Verizon, then they sent me a replacement, and then I bought my own G1100 router b/c I no longer wanted to pay the stupid $12 rental fee).  So clearly, that rules out the router.  Maybe there's something in the router settings that has to be changed to stop this from happening.  But it's definitely not the G1100 hardware that's causing the problem.

-The wifi is already turned off in the G1100 router settings.  So it's not that.

-Edg1, can you clarify what you mean?  I think you're saying that the next time the Orbi goes red, unplug the Orbi, plug the ethernet wires back into the G1100, turn wifi back on in the G1100 settings, and see if that works?

0 Likes
alex8828
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have Verizon test your ONT.

0 Likes
RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Would they test the ONT remotely or do they have to physically come to the house?

0 Likes