Re: Double NAT situation? Help.
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RJHNY1 wrote:

Thanks for the responses guys:

-The issue is not the G1100 router hardware.  This is the THIRD G1100 router this happening on (I had the original router from Verizon, then they sent me a replacement, and then I bought my own G1100 router b/c I no longer wanted to pay the stupid $12 rental fee).  So clearly, that rules out the router.  Maybe there's something in the router settings that has to be changed to stop this from happening.  But it's definitely not the G1100 hardware that's causing the problem.

-The wifi is already turned off in the G1100 router settings.  So it's not that.

-Edg1, can you clarify what you mean?  I think you're saying that the next time the Orbi goes red, unplug the Orbi, plug the ethernet wires back into the G1100, turn wifi back on in the G1100 settings, and see if that works?

I'm saying next time Orbi goes out and turns red take a laptop and connect it directly to the G1100 LAN port. If you can get out to the internet then there must be something wrong with the Orbi. If you can't get out to internet then there might be an issue with the ONT. 

0 Likes
RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh I see what you're saying.  So if I take an ethernet wire and plug it from my laptop to the G1100 LAN, it should automatically connect as a wired connection?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct.  When you connect you to the LAN your laptop will get and IP and if you can get on the internet then you know if the issue is Verizon or Orbi. 

Another thing you can also do is try to pull up ON Demand on one of your set-tops. If ON Demand loads then the problem is with Orbi and not a Verizon issue. 

0 Likes
alex8828
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think they can test remotely.

0 Likes
RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, awesome.  Next time I get the Orbi red ring, I'll do just that and will report back.

0 Likes
RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So it's been a few weeks.  I haven't had the issue I was having with my Orbi going red.  I'm hopeful that the issue was fixed by making the Orbi my AP and turning off wifi in the settings of the G1100.  Fingers crossed.

0 Likes
RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi guys, Happy New Year!

So, zero issues since my last post!  I think this issue has been fixed.

I got an email from Verizon informing me that my wifi was upgraded and to "activate now."   It's a software upgrade that allows me to great a Self-Organizing Network (SON).

I'm afraid to do anything b/c I don't want to create any new issues since I just went through that whole ordeal to fix my wifi issues.  Is it safe to accept this software upgrade such that it won't screw up anything for me?

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your wifi on the G1100 should be turned off since using Orbi. The upgrade is already most likely pushed to your router. They are just referring to turning on SON. 

0 Likes
RJHNY1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok thanks.  Yes, my router wifi is off.  So I can just safely ignore this SON thing?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct. You can just ignore it since your wifi is coming from the Orbi. You can just leave it off.

0 Likes