Using own router

SOLVED
Gold Contributor V Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V
Message 31 of 36
(275 Views)

@RJHNY1 wrote:

Thanks for the responses guys:

-The issue is not the G1100 router hardware.  This is the THIRD G1100 router this happening on (I had the original router from Verizon, then they sent me a replacement, and then I bought my own G1100 router b/c I no longer wanted to pay the stupid $12 rental fee).  So clearly, that rules out the router.  Maybe there's something in the router settings that has to be changed to stop this from happening.  But it's definitely not the G1100 hardware that's causing the problem.

-The wifi is already turned off in the G1100 router settings.  So it's not that.

-Edg1, can you clarify what you mean?  I think you're saying that the next time the Orbi goes red, unplug the Orbi, plug the ethernet wires back into the G1100, turn wifi back on in the G1100 settings, and see if that works?

I'm saying next time Orbi goes out and turns red take a laptop and connect it directly to the G1100 LAN port. If you can get out to the internet then there must be something wrong with the Orbi. If you can't get out to internet then there might be an issue with the ONT. 

Copper Contributor RJHNY1
Copper Contributor
Message 32 of 36
(274 Views)

Oh I see what you're saying.  So if I take an ethernet wire and plug it from my laptop to the G1100 LAN, it should automatically connect as a wired connection?

Gold Contributor V Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V
Message 33 of 36
(272 Views)

Correct.  When you connect you to the LAN your laptop will get and IP and if you can get on the internet then you know if the issue is Verizon or Orbi. 

Another thing you can also do is try to pull up ON Demand on one of your set-tops. If ON Demand loads then the problem is with Orbi and not a Verizon issue. 

Copper Contributor alex8828
Copper Contributor
Message 34 of 36
(263 Views)

I think they can test remotely.

Copper Contributor
Message 35 of 36
(256 Views)

Ok, awesome.  Next time I get the Orbi red ring, I'll do just that and will report back.

Copper Contributor
Message 36 of 36
(81 Views)

So it's been a few weeks.  I haven't had the issue I was having with my Orbi going red.  I'm hopeful that the issue was fixed by making the Orbi my AP and turning off wifi in the settings of the G1100.  Fingers crossed.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.