Using two routers for the same SSID
maxbirch

So here's my story. I have a standard Actiontec router in my basment, connected straight to the coax outlet, and connected by LAN Ethernet to a crappy computer nobody uses. It gives off a WPA2 wifi network, let's call it MyNetwork. For the longest time it's been the only router in the house. The coax outlet is on a splitter, splitting the coax outlet into one wire that goes to the Actiontec modem/router and the other to my TV STB. Recently we installed a new coax outlet on the other side of my house and next to it we have a brand new desktop computer that we use often. It has no wifi so and we can't run an ethernet cable throughout the entire house so we got a new Actiontec modem/router from our neighbor who just moved out. It's the exact same Actiontec device.

What we want to do is make it so that both routers give off signal on the same MyNetwork we have to make it a wider reaching signal, and so that I can connect the new desktop computer to the new router with an ethernet cable. I've read so many guides and they're all so confusing and it's such a mess that I almost completely screwed over my network. it seems like the two routers are completely independent of one another, not even aware of the others' existence. The new router is definitely in range of the old one. I've logged into 192.168.1.1 on the new computer and the new router seems to think it IS the old router (or so I think). It showed me all the same devices that have connected to MyNetwork and such, but then again it's always hard to be certain exactly which device is which. After messing around I must have changed some IP address or something, but it seems that 192.168.1.1 doesn't take me to the Verizon login screen, but 192.168.2.1 does. Can I reset those IP addresses?

And of course, can somone please provide a clean, easy to follow course of action as to how to set up two routers on one network?

0 Likes
Re: ... two routers ... same SSID - Alternate Layout Suggested
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@maxbirch wrote:

... I have a standard Actiontec router in my basement ... connected by LAN Ethernet to a computer ... It gives off a WPA2 wifi network, let's call it MyNetwork ... The coax outlet is on a splitter ... one wire that goes to the Actiontec ... other to my TV STB ...

... installed a new coax outlet on the other side of my house ...

... What we want to do is make it so that both routers give off signal on the same MyNetwork we have to make it a wider reaching signal, and so that I can connect the new desktop computer to the new router with an ethernet cable ...

... can somone please provide a clean, easy to follow course of action ... ?

I suspect it might be a good idea to step back reconsider your ultimate layout.  Essentially you now have two (or if the STB is also included, three) coax drops connected to the ONT.  It seems that you desire that one of these service the STB, and the other two each service a desktop and a wireless access point.  If this is the case, continue reading.

There is no need to consider the original Actiontec router as the primary router, wireless or otherwise.  Use the new coax location to connect to the primary Actiontec router (you can use either router).  For starters, reset both routers to their factory defaults using the reset switch on the back of each device (for details, do a search).

Once the primary router has been located (or relocated) to the new coax drop, just connect the new desktop there using an Ethernet cable connected to one of the LAN ports on the back of the router.  Then set up your primary wireless network based on this router (once again, do a search on these forums for specifics on setting up a basic wireless home network).

Now use the original coax outlet where the first router was located to set up another access point.  This access point will provide Ethernet connections plus an additional wireless network (if it's still needed).  However you cannot have two wireless devices on a single home network with the same SSID (i.e., network name).  Here are details on some methods to do this:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

For additional details, here's the complete FAQ:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url...

Take a careful look at these suggestions and references to decide if this is what you want.  Then report back if there are remaining questions.  Good luck.

0 Likes
Re: Using two routers for the same SSID
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@maxbirch wrote:

What we want to do is make it so that both routers give off signal on the same MyNetwork we have to make it a wider reaching signal, and so that I can connect the new desktop computer to the new router with an ethernet cable. I've read so many guides and they're all so confusing and it's such a mess that I almost completely screwed over my network. it seems like the two routers are completely independent of one another, not even aware of the others' existence. The new router is definitely in range of the old one. I've logged into 192.168.1.1 on the new computer and the new router seems to think it IS the old router (or so I think). It showed me all the same devices that have connected to MyNetwork and such, but then again it's always hard to be certain exactly which device is which. After messing around I must have changed some IP address or something, but it seems that 192.168.1.1 doesn't take me to the Verizon login screen, but 192.168.2.1 does. Can I reset those IP addresses?

And of course, can somone please provide a clean, easy to follow course of action as to how to set up two routers on one network?

You could have just moved the old router to the new coax connection, however.

Reset the new router to factory defaults by pushing and holding the reset button on the back

Connect the new computer to the new router LAN port (without it being connected by coax) and logon to it at 192.168.1.1

Turn off the dhcp server on the new router.

Set up the wireless side on the new router with a different ssid to the old router

make the ip address of the router a static addess on the 192.168.1 subnet

save the new settings

connect the new router to the new coax connector

Set up your wireless devices to connect to either ssid with the relevant password/s

Done

0 Likes
Re: Using two routers for the same SSID
Speedy13
Enthusiast - Level 3
Actually it can be done as above with the same SSID and password on each if you change the wireless channels from auto to ch 1 on one and ch 11 on the other. If you have interference on one of the channels use ch 6. Now your device will stay logged in and use the channel with the strongest signal as you move about the combined coverage area.
0 Likes