Using your own router
milhans1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there any advantage to replacing the G1100 router with an upper end third party router?  I have 1GB service about 50 devices connected including wifi thermostants, Google homes and Amazon echos, etc.  I can stream 4K content without problems.  I was wondering why people replace the FiOS router with one something like a Nighthawk.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using your own router
jonjones1
Legend

@milhans wrote:

Is there any advantage to replacing the G1100 router with an upper end third party router?  I have 1GB service about 50 devices connected including wifi thermostants, Google homes and Amazon echos, etc.  I can stream 4K content without problems.  I was wondering why people replace the FiOS router with one something like a Nighthawk.

Speaking solely for myself, I have found via research and via installing and using the higher end Netgear and Archers, Asus and others to be a boon to better WiFi coverages and speeds (Verizon Fios Greenwave routers are known for constant WiFi issues and connecting issues. Just google it)

quantum routers have internal antennas which unlike Nighthawks which have external antenna and beam forming and mimo technology all of which the Quantum lacks.

of course there is a huge price difference in Quantum Gateway Router at $150 new from Verizon or $30-$40 or more for a used one off eBay or Amazon.

where a top of the line router is around $350-$450 for the better technology.

another plus to a Nighthawk is that Netgear and TP Link or Asus and other high end brands give firmware updates quicker than Verizon does so that is a real plus.

the USB ports on these high end routers are fully functional.

these other manufacturers give free VPN, free cloud ready storage, as well DLNA for media like music and movies and they also accept external storage up to 2 terabytes or more. None of these are available on a Verizon router of any make or design.

another thing to remember is Verizon unlike cable internet do not support outside routers only their own, so if you need tech support its up to the ONT and not into the home. So you still are forced to keep one to get tech support.

just have a moment and google the Quantum router versus any high end router and you will be amazed. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@milhans wrote:

Speaking solely for myself, I have found via research and via installing and using the higher end Netgear and Archers, Asus and others to be a boon to better WiFi coverages and speeds (Verizon Fios Greenwave routers are known for constant WiFi issues and connecting issues. Just google it)

quantum routers have internal antennas which unlike Nighthawks which have external antenna and beam forming and mimo technology all of which the Quantum lacks.

of course there is a huge price difference in Quantum Gateway Router at $150 new from Verizon or $30-$40 or more for a used one off eBay or Amazon.

where a top of the line router is around $350-$450 for the better technology.

another plus to a Nighthawk is that Netgear and TP Link or Asus and other high end brands give firmware updates quicker than Verizon does so that is a real plus.

the USB ports on these high end routers are fully functional.

these other manufacturers give free VPN, free cloud ready storage, as well DLNA for media like music and movies and they also accept external storage up to 2 terabytes or more. None of these are available on a Verizon router of any make or design.

another thing to remember is Verizon unlike cable internet do not support outside routers only their own, so if you need tech support its up to the ONT and not into the home. So you still are forced to keep one to get tech support.

just have a moment and google the Quantum router versus any high end router and you will be amazed. 

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes