VISS and Windows security and windows updates/programs
admkshr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know that once you have VISS you can turn off Windows firewall. What about Windows Defender? And what about those constant updates that Windows always wants to download and install? They want to install a tool to remove malicious software. Do I need this since I have VISS? What about their non-security updates and programs? I would like to be able to stop getting so many updates, but I have to know what's necessary and what isn't. Thanks for any advice.

0 Likes
Re: VISS and Windows security and windows updates/programs
VZ_JoeD
Contributor - Level 1

You do not need the malicious Tool when running Viss.  As for Updates I suggest you do not turn off windows updates for the obvious reasons it helps maintain your systems security whether your running third party AV or not.  While you can go into start/programs/windows defender and turn it on or off this will not stop the updates. 

To specify that you're using a firewall that Windows does not find

Click Start and then click Control Panel.

Double-click Security Center. (You can also access the Security Center by clicking on an alert sent by the Security Center. For example, if you receive an alert telling you that your antivirus software is out of date, when you click that alert, the Security Center will open.)

In the Security Center, under Firewall, click Recommendations. (The Recommendations button is not available when your Firewall setting is marked ON.)

In the Recommendations dialog box, select the I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor myself check box, and then click OK.

When you use this procedure, the Security Center displays your Firewall setting as Unknown, and does not send you alerts.

To turn off Security Center alerts

Click Start and then click Control Panel.

Double-click Security Center.

In the Security Center, under Resources, click Change the way Security Center alerts me.

In the Alert Settings dialog box, clear the Firewall, Automatic Updates, or Virus Protection check boxes, and then click OK.

When you use this procedure, the Security Center still displays your status, but does not send you alerts.

0 Likes