×

Switch Account

VISS doesn't support Windows 8.1

SOLVED
Reply
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-25-2010

VISS doesn't support Windows 8.1

Message 1 of 10
(2,533 Views)
VISS will not install on Windows 8.1 and upgrading a Windows 8 system to Windows 8.1 breaks VISS. Verizon says they are working on it. VISS is a rebranded McAfee product, which is very interesting given that the original McAfee version WILL install and operate on Win 8.1. Anyone know when VISS issue will be corrected?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-25-2010

Re: VISS doesn't support Windows 8.1

Message 8 of 10
(2,360 Views)
Well, tried it again last night and latest version now supports Win 8.1. To your point, I doubt that I could find anyone at Verizon that would acknowledge this. It took three transfers in an online conversation before to have someone say that such a problem was being worked on, but still no clear confirmation that actually they knew about it already.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II
Posts: 333
Registered: ‎02-14-2012

Re: VISS doesn't support Windows 8.1

Message 2 of 10
(2,503 Views)

@JBoy53 wrote:
VISS will not install on Windows 8.1 and upgrading a Windows 8 system to Windows 8.1 breaks VISS. Verizon says they are working on it. VISS is a rebranded McAfee product, which is very interesting given that the original McAfee version WILL install and operate on Win 8.1. Anyone know when VISS issue will be corrected?

Why use something that costs money anyways when there are so many better free programs out there. Avast, AVG, Comodo, Malwarebytes, etc..

Highlighted
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V
Posts: 2,070
Registered: ‎08-07-2008

Re: VISS doesn't support Windows 8.1

Message 3 of 10
(2,456 Views)

@beetlejuice wrote:

@JBoy53 wrote:
VISS will not install on Windows 8.1 and upgrading a Windows 8 system to Windows 8.1 breaks VISS. Verizon says they are working on it. VISS is a rebranded McAfee product, which is very interesting given that the original McAfee version WILL install and operate on Win 8.1. Anyone know when VISS issue will be corrected?

Why use something that costs money anyways when there are so many better free programs out there. Avast, AVG, Comodo, Malwarebytes, etc..


...or Windows Defender, for that matter -- free and part of Windows.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-25-2010

Re: VISS doesn't support Windows 8.1

Message 4 of 10
(2,408 Views)
Not a helpful answer, thanks anyway.
Anyone know when VISS will be supported on Win 8.1?
Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ
Posts: 5,957
Registered: ‎09-24-2008

Re: VISS doesn't support Windows 8.1

Message 5 of 10
(2,403 Views)

@PJL wrote:

@beetlejuice wrote:

@JBoy53 wrote:
VISS will not install on Windows 8.1 and upgrading a Windows 8 system to Windows 8.1 breaks VISS. Verizon says they are working on it. VISS is a rebranded McAfee product, which is very interesting given that the original McAfee version WILL install and operate on Win 8.1. Anyone know when VISS issue will be corrected?

Why use something that costs money anyways when there are so many better free programs out there. Avast, AVG, Comodo, Malwarebytes, etc..


...or Windows Defender, for that matter -- free and part of Windows.


I am sure that the OP would like to know..

 

How is that (or are those) program(s) better than paid programs?

 

Thank you.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.


 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-25-2010

Re: VISS doesn't support Windows 8.1

Message 6 of 10
(2,392 Views)
FYI: I use VISS (McAfee) as included in my FiOS subscription. I also use Superantispyware to cover adware gaps the antivirus system may miss. Windows Defender, formerly known as Elephant before MS acquired it and dumbed it down a little, is similar in intent to Superantispyware.
That being said, back to the original topic: anyone know when Verizon will make VISS support Win 8.1?
Highlighted
Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II
Posts: 333
Registered: ‎02-14-2012

Re: VISS doesn't support Windows 8.1

Message 7 of 10
(2,365 Views)

@JBoy53 wrote:
That being said, back to the original topic: anyone know when Verizon will make VISS support Win 8.1?

No and no one at Verizon will have an exact answer either. Only thing I can suggest is post it in the idea exchange forum if you haven't already. Maybe they will pass it on to the right people who deal with the software.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-25-2010

Re: VISS doesn't support Windows 8.1

Message 8 of 10
(2,361 Views)
Well, tried it again last night and latest version now supports Win 8.1. To your point, I doubt that I could find anyone at Verizon that would acknowledge this. It took three transfers in an online conversation before to have someone say that such a problem was being worked on, but still no clear confirmation that actually they knew about it already.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎11-02-2013

Re: VISS doesn't support Windows 8.1

Message 9 of 10
(2,310 Views)

I cannot get VISS to install after upgrading to Windows 8.1 - what is the secret to installation?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-25-2010

Re: VISS doesn't support Windows 8.1

Message 10 of 10
(2,289 Views)

Well, that's a good question, and the answer is a bit screwy.  Verizon and McAfee point you to Verizon's site to install the Verizon In Home Agent which will supposedly get you to the download page, which is actually http://verizon.com/getviss . BUT you CAN go directly to that page, no In Home Home Agent required.  The download page (verizon.com/getviss) is the screwy part: I could not see all of it from IE 11 or Chrome on my Win 8.1 system, no buttons to push.  BUT it does work from my Win 8 laptop.  Go figure.

 

SO, on my Win 8.1 system, I screwed with this for a long time, and couldn't get that page to work.  I searched around and found this site to download the VISS installation file directly onto my Win 8.1 system:

http://lib.giveawayoftheday.com/Verizon_Internet_Security_Suite_42683/

OR, using my Win 8 system, I could get it from that Verizon download page and transfer the installation file to my Win 8.1 system.  Either way, you get the installation file Verizon_IHAMC_VISS.exe to install it on Win 8.1:

    1. Download it.

    2. Run it.  Remember, you have to input the ID and password of your primary Verizon account holder.

    3. When it gets to the installing stage, it will appear to run forever. It isn't. 

        I closed the main dialog window and hidden behind it, unbeknownst to me, was the window

              to actually complete the installation.

        Click "Continue" and it will complete, just follow the dialog.  Takes a few minutes.

    4.  When all done, VISS will update itself to current definitions and app updates.

How's that for "straight forward"?  🙂  I've run this a couple of times now, works like a charm.  It registers your installation with Verizon and everything.

 

               John

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19


Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.