VLAN on G1100
GFVALVO
Enthusiast - Level 3

My G1100 is in the basement and its WiFi (including Guest network) covers this area nicely. But, it’s in a closet under some duct work so coverage to other parts of the house is kind of spotty. So, I have a wireless access point upstairs that’s hardwired to the G1100 (1GbE). It does a good job of covering the whole house and even out to the pool.

Now, I’d like to do the same thing with the Guest network using another wireless access point. I think the way to do this (if possible) would be to put one of the G1100’s LAN ports in its own VLAN and hard wire the Guest wireless access point to that. The rest of the LAN ports, and the WiFi would be on a different VLAN. The broadband connection would be on both VLANs. I’m thinking this would provide the Guest wireless access point with Internet access only and isolate it from the rest of my network.

So, is this possible with the G1100? Has anyone been able to make it work?

Thanks.

Greg

0 Likes
Re: VLAN on G1100
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Far as I have seen, G1100 does not support VLAN. Just seperate WIFI networks.

0 Likes
GFVALVO
Enthusiast - Level 3

Seems that way to me too. But, look at this image from the Network Properties page. It seems to know about VLANs, there's just no way to enable them. Tantalizingly close.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GFVALVO wrote:

My G1100 is in the basement and its WiFi (including Guest network) covers this area nicely. But, it’s in a closet under some duct work so coverage to other parts of the house is kind of spotty. So, I have a wireless access point upstairs that’s hardwired to the G1100 (1GbE). It does a good job of covering the whole house and even out to the pool.

Now, I’d like to do the same thing with the Guest network using another wireless access point. I think the way to do this (if possible) would be to put one of the G1100’s LAN ports in its own VLAN and hard wire the Guest wireless access point to that. The rest of the LAN ports, and the WiFi would be on a different VLAN. The broadband connection would be on both VLANs. I’m thinking this would provide the Guest wireless access point with Internet access only and isolate it from the rest of my network.

So, is this possible with the G1100? Has anyone been able to make it work?

Thanks.

Greg

Just configure the wap to be a different subnet to 192.168.1 and hardwire it from the g1100 as Lan to Wan and give the wap a different ssid.

On second thoughts that might not be what you want as the wap subnet would be able to see all the devices on the g1100 subnet.

I have my network set up the other way with the gateway router being by own device with the guest network on it and the verizon router is downstream from it.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes