×

Switch Account

VOIP has stopped working -- FIOS Internet -- Verizon blocking ports?

SOLVED
Reply
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

VOIP has stopped working -- FIOS Internet -- Verizon blocking ports?

Message 1 of 13
(27,273 Views)

Background:

I have two VOIP device, one is from VOIP.com (HT-286) and the other is my Blackberry 8220 wifi-enabled phone.

 

Until December, I had Cox Internet for the last two years -- ZERO problems with the above devices.  I made and received phone calls just fine.

 

FIOS internet installed early december.  Both devices worked fine on install.  I made and recevieved VOIP phone calls with both the VOIP.com device (Home phone) and my wifi Blackberry.

 

I've taken my VOIP box over to the neighbor's to test it -- works fine.  I plug into their router and have no problems.  My wifi Blackberry works just fine when I go to to the bookstore or coffee shop (Free wifi).

 

Internet (as defined by using PC web browser) and TV work fine.  We have VOIP service with VOIP.com.

 

Problem:

About two weeks ago, I noticed that I would occasionally get phone calls on the blackberry and there would be no one there. I didn't think anything of it until my wife finally asked me why she couldn't make outgoing calls on the house phone.

 

I tested it, and this is what I found:

 

BOTH PHONES:

Phone rings.  "Dead" call.  However, the caller can hear ME but I cannot hear them

 

I make outgoing call on VOIP/house phone:  I get dial tone, and dial as normal, but once I've dialed, SILENCE.  No ring, nothing.  The called phone will ring but I will not hear it, nor hear the other party answering.  I can call my wife's cel phone (Tmobile) or work phone and it rings.  She can hear me, but I cannot hear her.

 

I make outgoing calls on wifi Blackberry:  Enter number and press send as normal, but SILENCE.  Same symptoms as above.

 

As I said, I've taken both devices to other networks and they work fine.  NOTHING was changed on the router in the time frame EXCEPT the name of the SSID, which I changed the very first day --both devices were working for several weeks after.

 

I have powered off and restarted the router a dozen times and I just did a "hard" reset to return it to the factory settings :: my voip service still is not working properly.

 

WHAT I HAVE DONE:

 

I called Verizon FIOS Internet support.  They say since I can watch TV and access the web, that nothing is wrong.

 

I called VOIP.com and they say they see the device coming into their network, but they cannot see if Verizon is blocking ports 5060-5070.

 

Blackberry support flat-out says that Verizon is blocking ports.

 

Can someone help?

 

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Re: VOIP has stopped working -- FIOS Internet -- ? UPDATE STATUS

Message 10 of 13
(27,017 Views)

Hubris, I think you were on the right track.

 

But my problem is that if I set up port forwarding for one device, the other one can't work.

 

-- If I disable one VOIP device and enable port forwarding for the other (by its DHCP name or IP) it works.

 

-- If I turn the other VOIP device ON while port forwarding is enabled as above, BOTH devices go back to silence.

 

 

ideas?

 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ
Posts: 5,925
Registered: ‎09-24-2008

Re: VOIP has stopped working -- FIOS Internet -- Verizon blocking ports?

Message 2 of 13
(27,254 Views)

#1 Perhaps as adddress on

 

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

 

is why.

 

#2 and as addressed on

 

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

 

is what you can do about it.

 

?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.


 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Re: VOIP has stopped working -- FIOS Internet -- Verizon blocking ports?

Message 3 of 13
(27,250 Views)

That article says "This problem applies to the first generation Actiontec routers (rev. A-D)."

 

I have a Rev. E router, do you know if that applies?  Spec says "MI424WR-GEN2 REV E"

 

Also, I did a factory reset on the router and got the same problem right away -- I assume the NAT is dumped on a factory reset?

 

 

Ah, I see in the article " If you are in the former Bell Atlantic operating area, the Rev. E Actiontec should solve the NAT problem."

 

I have a Rev E router, I don't think the NAT table is the problem, esp after a reset.  ...

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,881
Registered: ‎07-22-2009

Re: VOIP has stopped working -- FIOS Internet -- Verizon blocking ports?

Message 4 of 13
(27,233 Views)

@plautus wrote:

Background:

I have two VOIP device, one is from VOIP.com (HT-286) and the other is my Blackberry 8220 wifi-enabled phone.

 

Until December, I had Cox Internet for the last two years -- ZERO problems with the above devices.  I made and received phone calls just fine.

 

FIOS internet installed early december.  Both devices worked fine on install.  I made and recevieved VOIP phone calls with both the VOIP.com device (Home phone) and my wifi Blackberry.

 

I've taken my VOIP box over to the neighbor's to test it -- works fine.  I plug into their router and have no problems.  My wifi Blackberry works just fine when I go to to the bookstore or coffee shop (Free wifi).

 

Internet (as defined by using PC web browser) and TV work fine.  We have VOIP service with VOIP.com.

 

Problem:

About two weeks ago, I noticed that I would occasionally get phone calls on the blackberry and there would be no one there. I didn't think anything of it until my wife finally asked me why she couldn't make outgoing calls on the house phone.

 

I tested it, and this is what I found:

 

BOTH PHONES:

Phone rings.  "Dead" call.  However, the caller can hear ME but I cannot hear them

 

I make outgoing call on VOIP/house phone:  I get dial tone, and dial as normal, but once I've dialed, SILENCE.  No ring, nothing.  The called phone will ring but I will not hear it, nor hear the other party answering.  I can call my wife's cel phone (Tmobile) or work phone and it rings.  She can hear me, but I cannot hear her.

 

I make outgoing calls on wifi Blackberry:  Enter number and press send as normal, but SILENCE.  Same symptoms as above.

 

As I said, I've taken both devices to other networks and they work fine.  NOTHING was changed on the router in the time frame EXCEPT the name of the SSID, which I changed the very first day --both devices were working for several weeks after.

 

I have powered off and restarted the router a dozen times and I just did a "hard" reset to return it to the factory settings :: my voip service still is not working properly.

 

WHAT I HAVE DONE:

 

I called Verizon FIOS Internet support.  They say since I can watch TV and access the web, that nothing is wrong.

 

I called VOIP.com and they say they see the device coming into their network, but they cannot see if Verizon is blocking ports 5060-5070.

 

Blackberry support flat-out says that Verizon is blocking ports.

 

Can someone help?

 

 


VZ isn't blocking those ports.  they only have restrictions on port 25, and in some areas port 80.  all other ports are open.

 

I would reach back out to voip.com and see if you can escelate it with them.    you can also go to portforward.com and see if they have any walkthrough guides for your particular device.    if you have a friend with fios you can try switching routers to see if that is the culprit, but there is nothing in your description that suggests to me that it would be a router issue.     Also look into QOS if your VOIP people can give you any information on that,   it may also be an avenue you would want to explore if you have VOIP transpiring over there.

 

 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Re: VOIP has stopped working -- FIOS Internet -- Verizon blocking ports?

Message 5 of 13
(27,225 Views)

 


@Hubrisnxs wrote:

VZ isn't blocking those ports.  they only have restrictions on port 25, and in some areas port 80.  all other ports are open.

 

I would reach back out to voip.com and see if you can escelate it with them.    you can also go to portforward.com and see if they have any walkthrough guides for your particular device.    if you have a friend with fios you can try switching routers to see if that is the culprit, but there is nothing in your description that suggests to me that it would be a router issue.     Also look into QOS if your VOIP people can give you any information on that,   it may also be an avenue you would want to explore if you have VOIP transpiring over there.

 

 


 

 

I don't think VOIP.com is the problem, as I said, I connected my VOIP.com box to my neighbor's network and it works just fine.  VOIP.com says the only reason my phone would ring but have a dead call is that the data stream isn't coming back to my phone.  Tmobile said the same thing.

 

I don't have any friends with FIOS  -- I called FIOS tech support and asked to get a replacement router to check the problem and was told to pound sand.

 

My frustration is that the service WORKED FINE until about a week+ ago.

 

If I was having the problem with only the VOIP box, I would be on their back.  If it was only with the blackberry, i would be on tmobile's back.  But both say it is a network problem with my connection.

 

 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Re: VOIP has stopped working -- FIOS Internet -- ? UPDATE STATUS

Message 6 of 13
(27,218 Views)

So I have been tweaking with the port forwarding.

 

remember I have TWO VOIP devices, folks.

 

I enabled port forwarding for the VOIP.COM TA.  >voila!<  I make a test call using the wife's cel phone and everything works fine.

 

Victory!

 

I try to make a test call with the Blackberry -- and I realize wifi is turned off.  I turn it on.

 

Kaplooey...

 

Mind you, I had ZERO problems running this setup with my old internet setup.  Cox Cable + Linksys router.

 

The Actiontec router might be the culprit after all.  My old setup had no problem running both VOIP devices simulateously. 

 

NAT table problems?  SOmeone?

 

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,153
Registered: ‎11-10-2009

Re: VOIP has stopped working -- FIOS Internet -- Verizon blocking ports?

Message 7 of 13
(27,212 Views)

@plautus wrote:

 

 VOIP.com says the only reason my phone would ring but have a dead call is that the data stream isn't coming back to my phone.  Tmobile said the same thing.

 

 


That is totally correct.  By default all ports are closed but the connection is started by your local device which opens up specific ports to support the intended action.  The only way to allow unsolicited traffic into the local network is by port forwarding  to a device/app that will allow unsolicited traffic e.g a web browser listening on port 80 inside your local network cannot be contacted unless you forward port 80 to it in your router.

It would appear from what you and voip.com are saying is that either your device is faulty (obviously not true as it works elsewhere) or the router is faulty (much more likely)

You could possibly prove this by running the port testing software from Gibson Research

go to www.grc.com

you should get different results when you run the test without your device connected to what you see when it is connected.

 

You could take your router and your Blackberry to your local Verizon Fios store and show them that it doesn't work on your router but does on one of theirs at which point they should exchange it for you.

This link should take you to the Fios store locator

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/General+Support/Account+Issues/QuestionsOne/84843.ht...

if not just google Verizon Fios Stores

 

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,153
Registered: ‎11-10-2009

Re: VOIP has stopped working -- FIOS Internet -- ? UPDATE STATUS

Message 8 of 13
(27,208 Views)

@plautus wrote:

So I have been tweaking with the port forwarding.

 

remember I have TWO VOIP devices, folks.

 

I enabled port forwarding for the VOIP.COM TA.  >voila!<  I make a test call using the wife's cel phone and everything works fine.

 

Victory!

 

I try to make a test call with the Blackberry -- and I realize wifi is turned off.  I turn it on.

 

Kaplooey...

 

Mind you, I had ZERO problems running this setup with my old internet setup.  Cox Cable + Linksys router.

 

The Actiontec router might be the culprit after all.  My old setup had no problem running both VOIP devices simulateously. 

 

NAT table problems?  SOmeone?

 


You could try disconnecting everything on your local network, powering the Actiontec off and on and then try using your Blackberry and see if it works.

Could also try bridging the Actiontec to the Linksys and seeing if that resolves the issue.

 

It's odd that you should have to use port forwarding for the voip.com TA.  I have a couple of MagicJack devices and also Skype enabled machines and they work with no issues without port forwarding.  However I notice that if I connect a machine with a Skype on it directly to the Verizon router subnet I acquire port forwarding rules for the machine on the Router, this does not occur if the machine with Skype on it is connected to a secondary subnet controlled by a router  between it and the Verizon router and Skype works with no issues in both cases.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,881
Registered: ‎07-22-2009

Re: VOIP has stopped working -- FIOS Internet -- ? UPDATE STATUS

Message 9 of 13
(27,200 Views)

we might have been miscommunicating,   when you said verizon blocking ports, I assumed you meant verizon verizon, not the router.  the router I see as a seperate piece, and so yes it has a firewall and like all firewall's it blocks port by nature.  

 

so port forwarding would sure do the trick.     I'll take a look at what you wrote more in just a moment, and see if anything comes to mind.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Re: VOIP has stopped working -- FIOS Internet -- ? UPDATE STATUS

Message 10 of 13
(27,018 Views)

Hubris, I think you were on the right track.

 

But my problem is that if I set up port forwarding for one device, the other one can't work.

 

-- If I disable one VOIP device and enable port forwarding for the other (by its DHCP name or IP) it works.

 

-- If I turn the other VOIP device ON while port forwarding is enabled as above, BOTH devices go back to silence.

 

 

ideas?

 

View solution in original post

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19


Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.