VPN issues using Cisco AnyConnect and FiOS
bobagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using a MacBook Pro and Cisco's AnyConnect VPN v3.0575.  I am the only one in the office out of dozens of users not able to connect to the VPN.  IT has checked my laptop and said the problem is something in the Verizon network or router blocking me.  I am using the Actiontec MI424-WR, Rev E FiOS router.  Anyone having this problem that got it resolved?  I am running OS X.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VPN issues using Cisco AnyConnect and FiOS
bobagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem was solved by calling the Verizon FiOS support line.  Verizon had to reset the IP address in my router.  It was locked and hung in a loop.  Once it was reset, I was able to connect with no problems and so far have had no further issues. 

View solution in original post

LtColFury

I've seen this before & figured it out. (I signed up to respond to your post.) I have FIOS and connect to VPN's all the time using VPN clients on all OS's. (OSX, Linux, and Windows)

Call Verizon and ask them to change your connection from Coax to Ethernet and you will be connect without a problem.

Best Wishes.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@LtColFury wrote:

I've seen this before & figured it out. (I signed up to respond to your post.) I have FIOS and connect to VPN's all the time using VPN clients on all OS's. (OSX, Linux, and Windows)

Call Verizon and ask them to change your connection from Coax to Ethernet and you will be connect without a problem.

Best Wishes.

If they have FIOS TV and they would like to keep FIOS TV working, I point to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16858

and to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15990

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

check your firewall rules and make sure that you have GRE configured properly.   Most people can't configure that manually, they have to use the preconfigured port forward rules in the drop down.   If yours doesn't have it, then delete the rule and build it using the drop down protocols. 

should look similar to this.

bobagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem was solved by calling the Verizon FiOS support line.  Verizon had to reset the IP address in my router.  It was locked and hung in a loop.  Once it was reset, I was able to connect with no problems and so far have had no further issues. 

Sin4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, 

Let me save you some time. I am a network engineer and IT. 

I have tested residential FIOS lines. The problem is not with the router. 

Verizon aggressively blocks most all server ports and VPN. It is by far the most blocked Internet service I have ever come accross. I have tried different ports and different vendors. Nothing works. The FIOS staff have been trained to either respond with a false answer or a "I don't know". I got plain out lies from their tech support. Its a common strategy among tech companies to save face and give hope to people with mis information. 

Many DSL companies, especially ones offering business static IP lines do not block ports. I recommend switching over. Yes, DSL does not offer the speeds of fiber optics, but its a matter of something that works opposes something that does not work. And with all the hacking and NSA concerns, VPN has become very important. 

This should save you some time and a lot of frustrations.

Sin

Sin4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Again... 

After reading all the commets. 

Reseting the IP does not resolve the block. 

The block is performed at the hub centers on Verizon. I have found many false comments claiming that VPN works on FIOS. I have tested all of them and they have turned out to be false. 

At least in the NJ and NY area VPN is extremely disliked by Verizon. 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Sin wrote:

Again... 

After reading all the commets. 

Reseting the IP does not resolve the block. 

The block is performed at the hub centers on Verizon. I have found many false comments claiming that VPN works on FIOS. I have tested all of them and they have turned out to be false. 

At least in the NJ and NY area VPN is extremely disliked by Verizon. 

You sure about this? I've never had any sort of issue, FiOS or DSL alike with the service or blocked ports. The only port that *IS* blocked is Port 25 Outbound, and rightfully so. Everything else is wide open and ready for use. I do make extensive use of VPN here on top of other things.

If VPN doesn't work on the Verizon service, there are bigger issues abroad. Either your configuration has something wrong with it, settings are wrong on the client end, or there's some oddball issue which is taking out everything and I'd expect far more complaints online. The most common problem with VPNs are misconfigurations and both the home network and the VPN using the same subnet (eg: 192.168.1.0/24).

0 Likes
Mark_VZN

Another user experiencing similar VPN issues.. When I attempt to connect via Cisco AnyConnect VPN on the Verizon FIOS network, I get "unable  to contact xxx.yyy.com"

I work at Verizon/Terremark and can't connect to my VPN over Verizon FIOS, and from what I gather there are 4-5 other people scattered throughout the country from my business unit who also have  the exact same problem. To be thorough after finding this thread (and in desperation)  I tried all but changing the coax to Ethernet which I'm not sure would work but I may even try that. Neither the GRE port forwarding rule nor the IP address reset via Verizon Customer Service worked. This VPN configuration worked right up until about 2 weeks ago. I can do successful traceroute or pathping and see all routers in my path correctly (other than one missing a hostname). It definitely FEELS like some type of firewall related problem yet I can connect with the same PC's through even a wifi hotspot from a cellular phone, from Starbucks and any other possible way - it points squarely at the FIOS network. Has anyone found a solid solution to this problem? 

Verizon is going to research the problem and get back to me. If I find a solution I will post what worked for me at least.. 

0 Likes
bobagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also tried everything including getting our 3rd party IT support company involved. It was finally resolved when Verizon re-routed my FIOS signal to a totally different router. Once that happened everything worked and has since. This was about 6 months ago.  

0 Likes