Re: Russian VPNFilter Malware
jonjones1
Legend

@gailq wrote:

The FBI recently issued a security notice warning that all home and small office routers should be rebooted after Cisco’s Talon groupdiscovered sophisticated Russian-linked “VPNFilter” malware infecting at least 500,000 networking devices.

They also suggested a factory reset of the router and loading new firmware. Does Verizon FIOS have any guidelines on how to do that on the various Routers they provide with their service? II have a a Router supplied to support the Quantum service

Simply unplug it and plug it back in to refresh it. To factory reset take a pen or paperclip and insert in reset hole on back of router.

firmware updates can not be done via customers on Verizon routers. Only Verizon can do that. 

0 Likes
Re: Russian VPNFilter Malware
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

A person in our IT security department at work has Quantum router.

He agreed with me that there haven't been any reports that the Greenwave router was compromised.

0 Likes
VPNFilter vulnerability
SpeedThree
Contributor - Level 1

Fortunately, at the bottom of this site where routers vulnerable to the VPN filter are lised, Actiontec routers do not appear.

https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2018/05/VPNFilter.html

That said, I am familiar with the basics of accessing and changing settings on my Actiontec M1424WR Rev I GigE, but at the same time I realize that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and undestand that I could really foul things up if I toyed with the wrong settings.

Would anyone be willing and able to offer suggestions on settings I might change on this particular router in order to better enhance my security?

Many thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Are Actiontec Routers Infected by Malware
suzontravel

Hi,

I reset my Quantum Gateway router with the red button on the back, made sure auto refresh was turned on and changed the original issued PW to a new one. Sgould I power cycle it just to be safe? Will the PW change prevent the firmware updates that Verizon pushes out to their routers since Verizon does not know the PW now??

Thanks.

Susan

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@suzontravel wrote:

Hi,

I reset my Quantum Gateway router with the red button on the back, made sure auto refresh was turned on and changed the original issued PW to a new one. Sgould I power cycle it just to be safe? Will the PW change prevent the firmware updates that Verizon pushes out to their routers since Verizon does not know the PW now??

Thanks.

Susan

Nope the password change will not affect any Verizon firmware updates.

Since it was reset no need to unplug etc. 

0 Likes
VPN Filter malware
dfranzo

Are the Verizon routers / set top boxes suseptable to VPN Filter Malware?

0 Likes
Re: VPN Filter malware
jonjones1
Legend

@dfranzo wrote:

Are the Verizon routers / set top boxes suseptable to VPN Filter Malware?

No someone here in another thread had a list and neither Fios Quantum Gateway Router or the Actiontec are listed.

0 Likes
Re: VPN Filter malware
exPresAppeals

I'm not so sure that list was definitive...it'll probably grow.  Or someone will fork the malware into something that can exploit VZ routers.

0 Likes
DFVerizon
I want to change the password on my Verizon Quantum Gateway router. But when I go to myfiosgateway.com to login to do this, my browser warns me that the connection is not secure, and that credentials entered on the page could be compromised. And there is a red slash thru a the padlock in the address bar. The page is this: http://myfiosgateway.com/#/setup Has anyone else encountered this? Is there other way to access the router? I already unplugged and replugged in; I guess I will also do a reset with the power button. But I don't know how to check if auto-refresh is turned on - I guess I have to be logged in to do that? And I can't change the password without logging in, but the login page is, as I've said, not secure. Thank you!
0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/fios-qgr-userguide1409251.pdf

then change the password there. Follow the instructions in my link above.

0 Likes