VZ/FIOS blocking VPN
mofotastic

Until very recently, I had no issue connecting to a VPN that I use.  Now, the VPN client times out.

Simple test...I disconnected my computer from my VZ FIOS/wifi and connected my computer to my AT&T iPhone hotspot and it worked.  Connected back to VZ FIOS, and the VPN did not work.

I don't think a simpler test could be done to show that, absent any changes on my end, VZ recently made a change in my case to block this particular VPN.  

I'll call customer care, but this is one of those cases where I think they'll have me run through an unending series of troubleshooting steps that are unnecessary based on my A - B test.  Thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: VZ/FIOS blocking VPN
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Helping you troubleshooting VPN is not within the jurisdiction of FiOS technical support.

You mentioned "this particular VPN," so what is the pronoun "this" referring to? Are you using the very insecure PPTP or GRE tunnels? What router do you have, G1100 or G3100? What protocol is your VPN using?

0 Likes
Re: VZ/FIOS blocking VPN
jonjones1
Legend

Try just unplugging the router and wait about a minute. Then plug it back in and after the reboot of the router. Try using the vpn again. I use nord vpn and my wife uses another one for her job *very secure and must use a pin code” and they both connect with no issues.

now to be fair we don’t use Verizon anything for our internet. We use a netgear nighthawk which like your vpn is not supported on Fios customer service.

I believe a thread at dslreports is saying Verizon has put out a firmware update. Not sure if for the G1100 or the newer G3100 

0 Likes