Verizon 4G network extender with secondary FIOS Router
dbull18
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have connected a secondary router to my FIOS network using these instructions: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

I did this so I can boost the WIFI signal in my house and it seems to work flawlessly.

I also have poor cell service in my home and purchased a Verizon 4G network extender to boost the cell signal in my home. 

My question is, can I plug the network extender into the secondary router? I tried to connect it to the primary FIOS router in the basement but I am unable to connect to GPS. I have tried to connect the network extender to the secondary router (which is on the first floor near a window) but it is also unable to connect to a GPS signal. I am not sure if this problem is occurring because I disabled the DHCP on the secondary router or if I am doing something wrong.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon 4G network extender with secondary FIOS Router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Second the above reply. GPS Signal will rely on the extender being near a window, or, having an external antenna in a spot where it can lock onto GPS Satellites in the sky. 

As for the secondary router, as long as you have it running as a LAN Bridge and you're not creating a Double NAT, the Extender should link up just fine when connected to the secondary router. If you happened to create a double NAT, the extenders don't like that and may not connect to the Internet properly.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

GPS has nothing to do with the routers. It receives the radio signal from GPS satellites. It looks like the placement of antenna causes the poor receipt of GPS. You probably need to buy an external antenna placed on the roof and connected to the extender.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Second the above reply. GPS Signal will rely on the extender being near a window, or, having an external antenna in a spot where it can lock onto GPS Satellites in the sky. 

As for the secondary router, as long as you have it running as a LAN Bridge and you're not creating a Double NAT, the Extender should link up just fine when connected to the secondary router. If you happened to create a double NAT, the extenders don't like that and may not connect to the Internet properly.

dbull18
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was able to get it working off the secondary router. I just had to connect the GPS antenna extender and run the GPS antenna on top of a window. Thanks for the help.