Verizon DNS does not resolve valid domain names
mfynf

I had trouble opening www.hesed.spb.ru website - kept getting 'Verizon blah-blah-blah unknown' page.

When I manually switched my DNS from automatc/DHCP to static 8.8.8.8 (Google public DNS) the site opened correctly.

This means that Verizon DNS server does not resolve some valid domain names.

Not sure if this forum is monitored by any network admin, but if it is, please fix this.

For the record: www.hesed.spb.ru is a legit charity that provides care for elderly and poor in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Its website does not contain any malware or illegal materials.

The IP address of the site is 89.223.41.141 which belongs to United Networks Ltd. - a legit Internet provider in St. Petersburg, Russia.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon DNS does not resolve valid domain names
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mfynf wrote:

I had trouble opening www.hesed.spb.ru website - kept getting 'Verizon blah-blah-blah unknown' page.

When I manually switched my DNS from automatc/DHCP to static 8.8.8.8 (Google public DNS) the site opened correctly.

This means that Verizon DNS server does not resolve some valid domain names.

Not sure if this forum is monitored by any network admin, but if it is, please fix this.

For the record: www.hesed.spb.ru is a legit charity that provides care for elderly and poor in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Its website does not contain any malware or illegal materials.

The IP address of the site is 89.223.41.141 which belongs to United Networks Ltd. - a legit Internet provider in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Many issues like this for the last few months with Verizon DNS servers.

Changing the DNS servers in the router from the VZ supplied values to openddns or google servers will typically resolve the issues for all machines on your network instead of doing it at the device level.

0 Likes