Verizon: Don't show up at my door unexpectedly!!
dorpond
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife and 22 month old daughter suddenly gets a guy at the door saying he is from Verizon and needs to come in to check for proper grounding..

Really Verizon??

With todays crime rate and scam artists, you are just going to show up unexpectedly and expect a mother to just let you in the house?

Please call first and give everyone a heads up that you are coming - that is proper business practice!

Re: Verizon: Don't show up at my door unexpectedly!!
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Did you verify whether he was actually from Verizon?

0 Likes
dorpond
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I am going to call Verizon shortly and figure this out.

I did speak to a friend at work here and he said something similar happened to him recently, for checking 'grounding issues'.

Not sure what is going on - I'll keep you posted.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

I certainly wouldn't let anyone in unless I could verify whether they were actually who they said they were. I'm suspicious like that. Let us know what you find out. If there's a new scam going on, the public needs to know!

dorpond
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I got off the phone. It looks like there is a Verizon wide grounding check that must be done - new rules or law in place or something of that nature.

So everyone should expect a Verizon tech to show up and check for grounding at one point or another. The guy said we should have gotten a letter or something first but if a tech is in the area, he may just show up before the letter arrives.

Whatever, just call me first and let me know! My wife was scared and that could have been avoided!

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yeah, the letters do go out. I got one myself. But if you have the junk mail stopped at the post office or if you subscribe to one of those identity protection services like lifelock, they letter may be mistaken for junk mail and stopped before it gets to you. Happened to my neighbor. Luckily I got the letter and since we talk so often he was aware of the issue through me. But the letter never made it to him. Since he subscribes to service to reduce junk mail, we think it got caught in that.

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

before letting anyone in, ask the tech to show his id card and get his id number from that card.

VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

All, Verizon is conducting FiOS equipment inspections to ensure the installation was provisioned in accordance with the Company’s installation standards.  The inspection is being undertaken as part of Verizon’s ongoing commitment to providing reliable and high quality service.Customers should have received a letter prior.The visit should only take a few minutes.In some cases, it may be necessary for the inspector to access your premises.Inspector’s will have a Verizon ID clearly displayed.No charges apply to perform the inspection nor will any charges apply if the installation needs to be updated. Any installation updates will be performed in the near future.  Verizon will schedule an appointment with the customer if access to their premises is needed. If you are wondering why the inspector is not driving a Verizon Company signed vehicle,inspectors have been approved to use their personal vehicle.