Verizon FIOS Internet
seanobrien1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have Verizon FIOS and a provided Actiontec 1424WR router. I want to connect this router to an internal router (Cisco 3750) that is part of my local network. Anyone have any luck doing something similar?

I configured an interface on my Cisco router with an IP address on the 192.168.1.3 and connected it to one of the LAN ports on the Actiontec router. In addition, my default-gateway on the Cisco router is 192.168.1.1, the Actiontec interface. I also have VLANs and virtual gateways (SVIs) configured on the L3 switch.

The results are that the switch is able to ping Google and external sites, but devices connected to the switch on various VLANs are not. I believe it may be an issue of the routing table on the Actiontec not knowing a route back to the local devices. I have tried to add static routes to the Actiontec router to no avail.

Any ideas.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Internet
PJL
Master - Level 3

@seanobrien wrote:

I have Verizon FIOS and a provided Actiontec 1424WR router. I want to connect this router to an internal router (Cisco 3750) that is part of my local network. Anyone have any luck doing something similar?

I configured an interface on my Cisco router with an IP address on the 192.168.1.3 and connected it to one of the LAN ports on the Actiontec router. In addition, my default-gateway on the Cisco router is 192.168.1.1, the Actiontec interface. I also have VLANs and virtual gateways (SVIs) configured on the L3 switch.

The results are that the switch is able to ping Google and external sites, but devices connected to the switch on various VLANs are not. I believe it may be an issue of the routing table on the Actiontec not knowing a route back to the local devices. I have tried to add static routes to the Actiontec router to no avail.

Any ideas.

You might get some good information in section 3 of this link.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You don't indicate if you have FIOS-TV or not. 

Nor do you indicate how the Actiontec is connected to the ONT (coax or cat5).

If the Actiontec's WAN connection to the ONT is provisioned over coax, have that switched to a cat5 connection.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15990

Then you can connect the Cisco directly to the ONT.

If you have FIOS-TV, connect the Actiontec behind the Cisco.

The link PJL provided gives lots of information.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not familiar with the Cisco 3750.  Google searches suggest it is a switch, not a router.

If it really is a switch, I'm not sure what you expect to gain by assigning it an IP address  If it's a managed switch, you'll want to give it's control port an IP address that makes sense given the routers configuration.  The Actiontecs default setup provides DHCP from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254.  If you truly need a fixed IP address (not a static assignment), you'll need to adjust the Actiontec's settings so the assignment is outside the DHCP range.

If it's a router, I'm not sure how well the Actiontec will work with it. Most residential uses say "router" when they really mean "NAT router."  This is a big difference, as a NAT router looks like a single network device to the upstream network, while a non-NAT router speaks various routing protocols with the upstream router.  I haven't seen anything in the Actiontecs setup or documentation that suggests it can talk routing protocols to a downstream router.  You can install a NAT router behind the Actiontec, but it seems your trying to do something else.

If you give us more information about what you're trying to do, we might be able to give you a better answer.

Good Luck!

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

If you want to have the 3750 function as a router and retain all its functionality  try the following setup:

1.  Assign the 3750 a static IP in the Actiontech's subnet i.e 192.168.1.2 - 254

2.  Connect an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the Actiontech router to the WAN port on the Cisco.  (Yes WAN Port)

3.  Set the DHCP server's range on the Cisco into a different subnet  i.e.  192.168.199.1 - 254 

4.  Power cycle both the Actiontech and the Cisco and see if what   you want  and need is working.

5.  If everything isn't working,  then using the Actiontech,  put the Cisco into the DMZ and test again.

I use this setup and it works for me.  The downside is that you can't easily share resources between the two networks.  In my case  I don't care.  I use the Actiontech to provide connectivity for my STB and a Roku.   All other connections are made through my secondary E3000 router on which I am running OpenVPN.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@seanobrien wrote:

Any ideas.

Did you connect the Verizon router LAN port to a LAN port on the Cisco router?

Could connect a LAN port of the verizon router the WAN port of the CIsco router instead after first making sure the cicso router is a different subnet to the Verizon router.  The downside of this is that although devices on the Cisco subnet can see devices on the Verizon subnet the devices on the Verizom subnet will not be able to see devices on the Cisco subnet without the addition of static routes.

I have never yet been able to get static routes to work with my Verizon router so there are post on this forum that claim it can be done. 

seanobrien1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Guys, thanks for the quick replies.

To answer some of the questions, we get both TV and Internet.

Here is what I did:

I enabled IP routing on the Cisco 3750

Created multiple VLANs with SVIs to route between VLANs.

VLAN50 = Guest, SVI = 10.10.50.1

VLAN40 = Kids, SVI = 10.10.40.1

VLAN30 = Adults, SVI = 10.10.30.1

Configured an access port (port 48) on the switch with an IP address (192.168.1.3) to connect to the Actiontec router interface (192.168.1.1).

On my L3 Cisco switch, I can ping the 192.168.1.1 interface on the Actiontec  and Google.

From the Actiontec, I can ping the 192.168.1.3 interface on the Cisco L3 switch.

What I cannot do is sucessfully ping the Actiontec router (or Internet) from my devices on the VLANs. I believe it may be an issue of the Actiontec have a route back to the VLAN networks. I tried to add static routes to them via the directly connected 192.168.1.3 interface, but it is still failing.

I will try some of the suggested steps.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Not clear from your post how you connected the Actiontec to the Cisco.

Did you connect Cisco LAN port to Actiontec WAN port?

If so, your addressing is incorrect.

The WAN port of the Actiont4eec must NOT be on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

seanobrien1
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you say "WAN" port on the 3750, are you referriing to the physical port that is assigned the address on the same subnet as the  inside facing interface on the Actiontec (192.168.1.0/24)?

0 Likes
seanobrien1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I assigned an address of 192.168.1.3 to a port on the Cisco switch. This places it on the same subnet at the Actiontec router. I then made 192.168.1.1 the default-gateway on the router. So my entry on the switch routing tab0.le is:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

0 Likes