Verizon FIOS Quantum Internet upgrade
kbala97
Enthusiast - Level 1

We  just upgraded to FIOS Quantum Internet and the internet speeds are just blazing! We get the full 35M/75Mbps as advertised on the wireline and about half that on the wireless. Wow!

A few items to note:

1. But, we had to buy the new router. This is important. The old one still had the slower speeds (much much slower). 

2. I installed the router, but, the internet was not active on it. I had to call Verizon tech support. They fixed it for me in 10 minutes. Good and efficient service!

Love it! Would recommend everyone upgrade to quantum. 

Re: Verizon FIOS Quantum Internet upgrade
prisaz
Legend

@kbala97 wrote:

We  just upgraded to FIOS Quantum Internet and the internet speeds are just blazing! We get the full 35M/75Mbps as advertised on the wireline and about half that on the wireless. Wow!

A few items to note:

1. But, we had to buy the new router. This is important. The old one still had the slower speeds (much much slower). 

2. I installed the router, but, the internet was not active on it. I had to call Verizon tech support. They fixed it for me in 10 minutes. Good and efficient service!

Love it! Would recommend everyone upgrade to quantum. 

They probably had ro release and renew the address for the new router.

I am happy you are happy. I too have 75/35, and see about 84/39. I had 35/35 and no going back.

Just to think in 2005 I started with 15/2. Why start with the 5/2 they offered?

This just means I need to build another PC to play with all those new Linux distributions I will be downloading in ISO format. All this new speed is going to cost me even more money.Smiley LOL

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@prisaz wrote:

@kbala97 wrote:

We  just upgraded to FIOS Quantum Internet and  .... Would recommend everyone upgrade to quantum. 

... I too have 75/35, and see about 84/39. I had 35/35 and no going back ...

I am running 50/25 and it's both fast and reliable.  Still, the practical side of me is asking just how much speed is required for my frankly minimal needs, and just how much money am I leaving on the table?  I note in the VZ upgrade pages that reducing Internet speeds doesn't necessarily reduce costs significantly.  In fact in some cases costs of new contracts appeared to increase with reduced speeds.  Strange.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@armond_in_nj wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

@kbala97 wrote:

We  just upgraded to FIOS Quantum Internet and  .... Would recommend everyone upgrade to quantum. 

... I too have 75/35, and see about 84/39. I had 35/35 and no going back ...

I am running 50/25 and it's both fast and reliable.  Still, the practical side of me is asking just how much speed is required for my frankly minimal needs, and just how much money am I leaving on the table?  I note in the VZ upgrade pages that reducing Internet speeds doesn't necessarily reduce costs significantly.  In fact in some cases costs of new contracts appeared to increase with reduced speeds.  Strange.

Many questioned why not keep 25/25 or 35/35? It is Quantum, or a speed from 2005-6. In my opinion, there should be a mid point. I guess you are at the new mid point, or 50/20. Prices for everything go up. In life not much gets cheaper.  It looks like all the symmetrical plans were eliminated, and can only be obtained on the business side of FiOS. FiOS was never designed to be symmetrical. At the start from the BPON network OLT 622/155 was designed to be split on the PON to 32 ONTs, if you do the math symmetrical did not add up. Or divide. Divide those speeds by 32, and you will see what I mean, 20/5. So I question how I can be getting 75/35 without over subscription on the network, but it seems I get subscribed speeds consistently. I wanted 150/65 GPON because of that concern, but my area is not GPON ready. Like you point out, how much speed does one need? GPON is not symmetrical either. If I were to drop my bundle from 75/35 to 50/20, it would only save only $5. Yes I jumped on the Quantum train as soon as it left the station, on the weekend of launch. I am happy I did, and feel I was given a very good deal. If I start having speed issues, where I am not getting subscribed speeds, I will complain, others will complain, and my C/O may get upgraded to GPON. For now it seems to be fine. Verizon magic, or not everyone is pushing there connections to the limit.

I have noticed if you go online and try to customize to a non standard bundle, pricing does get strange. I would say the bundle builder needs to be looked at for possible errors. Or it may be if you choose a non standard bundle, you just do not get the best pricing. Just as if you go to the grocery store and purchase something, if you get more, the price per pound is less in some cases. So talking about cost, the bundle builder allows you to customize slower speeds with more TV content, but that may not be a price advantage. Previously they had fixed bundles, and no flexibility. So if you pick a standard bundle I am sure you will get much better pricing.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@prisaz wrote:

... I have noticed if you go online and try to customize to a non standard bundle, pricing does get strange. I would say the bundle builder needs to be looked at for possible errors ... the bundle builder allows you to customize slower speeds with more TV content, but that may not be a price advantage ...
I suspect there are coding errors, but I also suspect that VZ has no real incentive to devote time and money to repairs.  In other words, a corporate decision.  Meanwhile we have available a frankly quite good technical package, accompanied by a sometimes lame billing system (with respect to coding, etc.).  This is perhaps why the CSRs have a hard time getting respect: they themselves are unwitting victims of the computer programs they are required to work with.  Just my view, of course.
Berto5

I too get reduced Quantum speed WiFi  20/20  vs. ethernet 60/30.  The WiFi speed is consistent both with a new fast laptop next to the router,  and a desktop 2 rooms away, which seems to indicate that the Verizon Fios router is the choke.  Others having this issue?  Comments?

0 Likes
MikePulice

I don't know if this matters to most WiFi users but I bought an Apple Airport and bridged it to my router so I could use 802.11 N. All t dfferenent world.

Mike

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Berto5 wrote:

I too get reduced Quantum speed WiFi  20/20  vs. ethernet 60/30.  The WiFi speed is consistent both with a new fast laptop next to the router,  and a desktop 2 rooms away, which seems to indicate that the Verizon Fios router is the choke.  Others having this issue?  Comments?

That's because your verizon router is running wireless-g.  You may have noticed that the OP purchased a new verizon router to correct his slow speeds.  I'm sure what he meant was that it corrected his slow wireless speeds as changing the ethernet speed from 100mb to 100mb wouldn' make much difference on the wired side owever the new router he got has wireless-n radios which support approx 150mb

In reality the OP would have been far better off to have just purchased a router/wap of his choice from any vendor as the Verizon routers are typically overpriced and under performing.  The new device would run in conjunction with the old Verizon router.

0 Likes