Re: Verizon FIOS Router Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I Issue - Dropped Connections - Constant Reboots
ohmyggg

@g00py wrote:

Question for the moderator: Are issues noted here -- especially those that are ongoing and still unsolved like this one -- forwarded to customer support?

g00py,

Yes, these threads are monitored and forwarded. I know this becaue I posted a reply here the other day which was moved into its own private support thread with a Verizon rep. They moved my reply because they didn't think my issue was related to yours but I'm rejoining the conversation because I think it's very similar.

I have the same exact router / version / firmware as you and started experiencing daily connection drops about 2-3 months ago. I'm located in Brooklyn, NY. Our internet will usually go down for a few minutes and then come back on its own, but at least once per day, I will have to power cycle the modem/router in order to get my connection back. In total, we lose our connection 3-5 times per day.

To keep this short, I've had a horrendous time dealing with Verizon. We've spoken to a total of 5 reps (one of which was a supervisor), had a "chronic dispatch" (in which they've sent a tech to my home 3 times to change the router, ONT, splitters, and try a different coax), and one private support ticket with a Verizon rep at DSLReports. They've rebuilt our connection repeatedly over the phone and have run tests on the equipment at the service center but none of that has helped. Since I'm still having issues, they've come to the conclusion that the problem must be caused by one of my devices.

The drops started occuring when my next door neighbor got FiOS. I keep clinging to the theory that these are related events, because as far as I can tell, nothing else has changed to trigger my connection issues (unless there was a firmware upgrade to either the STB or router that I was unaware of). I haven't really done anything different on my network - all of my devices are the same and there haven't been any major software changes. My neighbor said he's had connection drops ever since the day he signed up which reinforces my suspicions, but this could all just be a striking coincidence I suppose. I did, however, have one rep tell me that it was common for neighbors to get spotty connections when new service installs take place on the block. He said this occurs when the installers accidentally loosen something at the switch when bringing in new service, but since the Verizon NTs feel that the problem is being caused by one of my devices, they won't send anyone out to climb the pole and check the switch unless I'm willing to pay for the dispatch (ugh), so I've reached a dead end with them.

I'm re-joining the conversation here in hopes that we can share information and figure out a solution. The other things I can add to the conversation are:

1) My router used to reboot itself during service drops but ever since my technician swapped it for a new one last week, it has only reboot itself once. 

2) I noticed that my router posted the following entry to the advanced log during my last connection drop yesterday:

Jan 22 15:06:54 2014 System Log CWMP unhandled IOCTL 8946. According to the records, it seems like this happened when my Chromecast was trying to make a connection. I read about possible issues with the Chromecast when I first started researching my connection drops, so I removed it from my network completely for almost a week and I continued getting the drops. Since yesterday's drop is pointing to the Chromecast, I'll try disconnecting it again and will report back.

--Does anybody else have a Chromecast on their network?

--Do any of you feel like your issue is related to a neighbor getting service?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Router Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I Issue - Dropped Connections - Constant Reboots
chaybee1
Enthusiast - Level 3

No Chromecast here but, absolutely I think this is a larger issue than simply all of us experiencing the same problem caused by different reasons.  I believe that this is a Verizon/Actiontec issue way out of out hands. You will see in my previous posts, just like all of you, I have done every bit of troubleshooting imaginable with equipment.  I'm getting close to month 5 with the random reboots.  

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sangs wrote:

But that can be a tricky setup if you have FiOS TV. You have to have the Actiontec or a MoCA adapter in the chain to still receive all the TV data.

Didn't appear particulary complex when I did it a couple of weeks back.

Configured, off network,  my own netgear router as wan dhcp and lan dhcp server subnet 192.168.0

Connected to the verizon router and release the dhcp address and immediatly after powered it off

removed the ethernet cablcoming rom the ont form the wan port of the verizon router and connected it to the wan port of my netgear router and powered it on

Checked that it had got a dhcp addr from the ont

moved all the ethernet cables from the verizon router lan ports to the netgear router lan ports (you'd need a switch if all the vz router ports were in use)

connected the verizon router wan port to a lan port of the netgear router and powered it on

The one issue I had was that caller id on the tv's stopped.  I fixed that by port forwarding from the netgear to the Verizon router the 3 ip port ranges that were on the verizon router marked as verizon services - they were forwarding to the stb's.

And you honestly think that's an easy process for the average user? Come on now...

Also, that still keeps the problematic Actiontec router in the equation and others that have done this setup have reported it still reboots whether it's the primary or not. So it really doesn't fix the core problem here.

Took about 20 minutes.
I don't have an Actiontec router. I'm still using an ancient Westell 9100em from the last decade.  The Verizon router is no longer in the mix.  It's just hanging off the gateway handling the STB's and who cares if it reboots as the rebbot won't affect the minimal things the router is doing.
Netgear router is the gateway on 192.168.0
VZ router handles the guid a d caller id etc on the STB's on 192.168.1
And the rest of the devices connect either directly to 192.168.0 or to another router cascaded of at 192.168.3
0 Likes
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

ohmyggg: Has your neighbor tried contacting Verizon support to examine all the connections?

0 Likes
ohmyggg

@g00py wrote:

ohmyggg: Has your neighbor tried contacting Verizon support to examine all the connections?

g00py, he hasn't done that yet. 

Last we spoke, I told him that I was possibly getting somewhere with them, but it ended up being a dead end. I'll have to update him and see if he wants to call in and report the issue too.

0 Likes
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

chaybee1: The more I work on troubleshooting this, the more I think you're right. After five months of complaining, I'm rapidly nearing the point where I just decide to live with it until new firmware is available (and maybe even after that).  

0 Likes
chaybee1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hear you g00py.  I'm with you.  After 5 months there better be a fix coming.  I wasn't incovenienced this many times to walk away, yet.  Btw - I did contact billing - they gave me a $50 credit which is a joke.  I will be calling again for more.  I think part of their job is to make it as frustrating as possible to call so people just don't want to deal with it. 

Oh, and in case your wondering, Router reboot 9 hours ago while I was at work, no one home, no devices running and all WiFi devices turned off, so no fix yet.  

0 Likes
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

Guh! $50 is an insult, man. They owe you more than that in pain and suffering alone. 

I had a call today with tier 3. For some reason that makes very little sense to me, they insisted that I replace my router a third time. Sooooo, a tech will be coming to replace it again tomorrow. One piece of good news -- tier 3 scheduled a followup call with me on Sunday, at which point I'll be sure to mention that it rebooted just like the others (as I'm sure it invariably will.)

I'll let the group know how things go over the next four days.

0 Likes
chaybee1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yep,  I had 3 myself.  They are wasting your time man.  

0 Likes
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

I know. I just keep hoping that all this useless repetitive troubleshooting will lead to some sort of epiphany on Verizon's part that replacing equipment isn't the answer. 

0 Likes