Re: Verizon FIOS Router Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I Issue - Dropped Connections - Constant Reboots
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

Windows 7.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. I'm certain it's rebooted when the laptop wasn't even on, but this is the only thing I can find that even remotely seems to qualify as a cause.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Router Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I Issue - Dropped Connections - Constant Reboots
TheHangingJudge
Enthusiast - Level 3

@g00py wrote:

Windows 7.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. I'm certain it's rebooted when the laptop wasn't even on, but this is the only thing I can find that even remotely seems to qualify as a cause.

I asked because around the time that the reboots started, I got a new laptop.  It happens to be windows 8.1.  For me I think it is unrelated.  Especially since I have been up for so long now without a reboot.  I think we are looking too hard for causes outside of VZ.  Common denominator is VZ and Rev I router.

0 Likes
wsfrazier3

Has anyone been able to get their "advanved" MI424WR-GEN3I router replaced with an older one that worked fine?

After 4 attempts contacting tech support about the issue, I finally said I wanted a tech out here and they agreed.  I am kind of hoping the tech that comes to my house will happen to have an older generation router in the work van so i can ask him to downgrade.

I'd rather have stable connection than the wireless N and gigabit.

0 Likes
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

>Has anyone been able to get their "advanved" MI424WR-GEN3I router replaced with an older one that worked fine?

Yes. See previous posts. 

0 Likes
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

>It happens to be windows 8.1

I have a desktop running 8.1 and haven't had any connection issues with it. Only the laptop seems to be giving me trouble...I suspect it may be the dreaded "self-heal" feature rearing its ugly head again.

0 Likes
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

No callback, btw, from the last tech person who promised to follow up. Can't say I'm surprised.

0 Likes
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

Three reboots since my last post. 

0 Likes
Pattonator
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been suffering through the same issue for several months.  It comes and goes in waves where sometimes my router doesn't reset for days (at least I don't notice it) to having it reset hourly for days on end.

We are a huge user in my house with 2 desktops, 2 laptops, 3 DVR's and 3 STB's, 7 mobile phones, 2 tablets, 2 XBOX, 1 PS3, 1 Wifi printer, and maybe a few other devices.  The router resets itself when sometimes I am home by myself with most of the devices off or even out of the house as often as it does when there are many devices in use at the same time.

Verizon has swapped my router 5 times nows, changed the ONT twice and had techs to my house on dozens of occasions.  I figure that they have spent thousands of dollars in trying to fix things without ever spending a minute to research the problem.  Each time a tech comes to my house they are clueless as to why they are there and what they are supposed to do.

I have had them question my power supply but I have tried numerous electrical outlets with and without power strips and nothing changes.  I do not have power fluctuations and light that dim or get brighter.

I have had the techs tell me that the signal out of the ONT was low and was improved when the ONT was replaced.  My upstairs has a second splitter and I know that the signal in some of the bedrooms is not optimal.  If I unplug the STB in my daughter's bedroom it seems that this stops the resets from happening.  I have told this to Verizon and they tell me that won't cause the problem and will not look at the COAX or the STB.

I am so fed up with these problems as I work from home 2-3 days per week.

0 Likes
Pattonator
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did an online chat with Verizon today and they reported this below:
  Verizon In Home Network / Engineering have reported that customers who have a combination of Cisco STB(s) and an Actiontec Router may experience periodic, random Router reboots. All models of Cisco STBs and Actiontec routers are affected at this point.

So the fact that I have both in my home means that they can't or won't do anything until they have a solution as they don't have other models of routers available except ones with much slower speeds and there is a limited supply of other STB's.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Pattonator wrote:

I have had the techs tell me that the signal out of the ONT was low and was improved when the ONT was replaced.  My upstairs has a second splitter and I know that the signal in some of the bedrooms is not optimal.  If I unplug the STB in my daughter's bedroom it seems that this stops the resets from happening.  I have told this to Verizon and they tell me that won't cause the problem and will not look at the COAX or the STB.

I am so fed up with these problems as I work from home 2-3 days per week.

The best way to troubleshoot Coaxial issues is to check over a few points.

• Are there any channels when using the Set Top Boxes, that tend to pixelate or appear broken? Are some channels not coming in at all?
  • Do the Set Top Boxes complain about not being able to download the guide or VOD information?
  • Are the MoCa speeds between the Set Top Boxes and the router sub-par? Use this guide to find out: https://secure.dslreports.com/faq/16569
0 Likes