Verizon FIOS Wireless Extender set up HELP
ScottVerizon1

Hi all,
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me with this issue.  Our router is in the garage and the signal doesn't extend to our upstairs bedroom so I purchased the WCB3000N from Verizon to extend the network.

When I first set it up, it seemed to be working fine because my iphone picked up the SSID of our router in the bedroom (which it had never done before).

However the next day, I couldn't get a wifi signal in the bedroom and when I had the iphone look for networks, my router SSID didn't show up on the list.  However, the extender appeared to be showing up with 2 new SSID's  which appeared as E2FB-5G and E2FF-2.4G.  I tried to join these networks and I was asked for a password so I used the same password as the router in the garage but I was unable to join.

Any ideas on how I can either join the extender networks or get my Router SSID to show up again via the extender?  Am I doing something wrong?  Could it be an issue with the iphone?

Thanks
-Scott

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Wireless Extender set up HELP
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Take a look at the .pdf file at this link:  http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/WCB3000N_Wireless_Settings_Guide.pdf

It will explain to you how to access the Extender's GUI, and once you've done that, how to change any settings such as the unit's SSID, pasword, etc.

This link may be helpful too:  http://www.actiontec.com/products/faqs.php?pid=305#q0

You could try resetting the WCB3000N to its default settings and see if that helps.  Personally, I prefer to access the GUI and set everything the way I want it set.  For one thing, I use a different SSID than with my primary Actiontec router, thus allowing me to be sure which router I'm connected to at any given time.  I also set the devices for different channels (on 2.4 GHz) so they don't interfer with each other.  If you're using the 5 GHz 802.11ac network on the extender, there's no problem with interference from your main router.

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

I have the same equipment in my 2 story house (router on 2nd floor, exteder on 1st) and my experience is different from yours.  All I did was plug in the extender and it worked.  It used the same SSID as my router for the 2.4GHz band and added -5G to the SSID name for the 5GHz band.  

My wireless devices (Nexus 5, Galaxy 4S, Win7 laptop, Kindle Fire) all switch by themselves between the router and the extender, depending on where in the house they are.

I did use the page referenced by eljefe to get to the extenders Setup page to change the password on it, but that's all I changed.  So my suspicion is there is something about the setup of your iphone that should be tweaked.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

I saw there was an issue with some iphones using the router and the extender. Turn off your iphone and move next to the extender. Turn your iphone back on and let it connect. Now move next to the router, It should now work ok. There is a problem with the ios roaming between networks.

0 Likes