Verizon FIOS Wireless Router
efb729

We have been having problems with the wireless connection in our home for the last couple years.    Very poor connections once you get 25 feet away from the router.   I have used Verizons various automated services, as well as contacting support a number of times.   Well this last Christmas we got our son a Apple IPOD Touch and set up the wireless information.   The problem is it will not connect to the router unless it is within 8 feet of the actual router.   We talked with Apple about the problem, and tried a few changes nothing worked.   Apple then gave us another IPOD Touch, and we are still seeing the same problem.   I called support yesterday, and the woman knew right away what would fix the problem, and said she would send us a new router, model MI424WR Rev 2, I said great, and thanked her for being so helpful.   Well today I just got a package from Verizon, and it is the same router I already have, just Rev. E instead of Rev. D.     This is not going to fix our poor connection problem.   I called support again, and was told this is the best Verizon can do, they will not do as I was told yesterday and send us the latest router, they can only send us the same router knowing this will not resolve the issue we are having.   Then she tells me we have 35/25 MB internet service, when over the Summer  we had to re-upand was told I would have 50/50 MB service.    I check our bill on the web, and it says 50/25 MB service.  I guess it does not matter since unless we are within a few feet of the current router we can only get 10/10 MB.  I have already changed a number of setting in the current router based on supports recommendations, with little to no improvement.   Yesterday I thought based on what I was told the newer model of the router would finially make a difference, and then they pulled a switch and sent me basically the same router.   I have wasted so much time and never get any where.   I do not know why Verizon calls us and tells us we are valued customers, when in our opion they ignor our problems.

Very unhappy customer

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Wireless Router
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well rev a - d is first generation, and 2nd generation starts with rev e and f and then 3rd generation they sell online, but that is rev g and I.  

So you did get as discussed a 2nd generation router.

I heard sales department may offer discount on it, but on the website it is 79.99   www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

You may want to hook it up, just remember to do this before hooking up the new router. 

If you don't notice an immediate difference, then pls try the following and let us know if it helps. 

open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev(all)_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

What I did was just used a 3rd party router since actiontec is not a good router brand and don't buy the latest router for

$79.99(paid $91.99 with taxes) that is a total rip off router and you can't even return it.  Just use the actiontec for internet

and use a different router for wireless. Even when I got the latest actiontec router I still didn't receive my full speed

wirelessly even in performance mode so I used my other router netgear and got my full speed back wireless and wired.

0 Likes
efb729

I will try it, but the person I talked with said MI424WR Rev 2, Gen 3, and it will have a red strip on the side with two antenna's.  That is not what I received, and the support person I talked with knew this as well.  I have tried changing the channel setting to different one's on the old model.   I have added an extender in our house to fix some of the issues, but this does not help with the IPod Touch 5th Gen.   I eleive, and actually I know the newer models actiontec work much better, and that is what the woman from support old me yesterday.   It really tells me a lot about Verizonwhen it is willing to lose a customer paying over $300 a month for problably less than $50 router.  Yes, I can pay for a new router, but to keep a customer happy i would think they would follow through with what they told us would fix our problem.

0 Likes
efb729

Thanks for the info.  It just bothers me that Verizon says it is going to do one thing, and then does something different.  Then it makes up a number of excuses for why they didn't follow through.  I do not plan on buying a router from Verizon, and I think you are right, we are better off buying our own, and this way we rely less on Verizon for support.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

Your welcome I just didn't wanna see another person getting ripped of like me for even a worse product that costed me almost $100 which I barely have but instead I bought it and it wasted my money and time. 

0 Likes